I was wondering if anyone could point me to Python modules or example code for accessing USB connected devices. I would like to get as close to the hardware as possible with Python. I would like to be able to monitor as well as control USB connected devices. I've looked at the missile launcher code by Pedram Amini at dvlabs.tippingpoint.com, but am looking to see what else has been done in this area.

thanks,
Marc

  • Wayne Werner at Mar 30, 2010 at 2:33 pm

    I was wondering if anyone could point me to Python modules or example code
    for accessing USB connected devices. I would like to get as close to the
    hardware as possible with Python. I would like to be able to monitor as
    well as control USB connected devices. I've looked at the missile launcher
    code by Pedram Amini at dvlabs.tippingpoint.com, but am looking to see
    what else has been done in this area.
    I've used pyserial, I believe, to directly access the usb. Here's the
    important connection bits of my code:

    import serial

    class pyDuin:
    ser = serial.Serial()
    def __init__(self, port="/dev/ttyUSB0", baud="115200", timeout=0):
    self.ser.baudrate = baud
    self.ser.port = port
    self.ser.timeout = timeout

    def ready(self):
    self.ser.write("%c" % 41)

    def open(self):
    self.ser.open()
    if not self.ser.isOpen():
    print "Error, not able to open serial connection on %s" % \
    (self.ser.port, )

    I was using it to connect to my arduino. If you'd like the rest of the
    source, let me know.

    HTH,
    Wayne