Hello list,

I backported a while ago the ipaddress module (being a pretty useful piece
of code), given that in my case most of the systems needing it were running
python 2.x (still true).

Do any of you see any (good) reasons for this module to be proposed for
inclusion in 2.x? (given some code cleanup / rewrite and unittests included
and making the assumption that 3to2 feature backport is acceptable).

tip: the current patch looks compatible with both 3 and 2, although not
fully tested. with a little bit of more work (full code coverage tests at
least) there shouldn't be any need of maintaining different versions for 2
and 3.

diff: https://gist.github.com/malfaux/6317110
code: https://github.com/malfaux/backport32/blob/master/ipaddress.py

thank you,