(basically, compile it into something sort of resembling ye old .EXE
file)?

Syniq
crdempsey at uswest.net

Search Discussions

  • Alex Maranda at Aug 25, 1999 at 1:34 pm

    Syniq wrote:
    I know that

    #! /something/blah/whatever/python

    as the first line in your code will make your "program" an
    executeable(sp?), but this assumes that your user has python installed
    in /something/blah/whatever/python.

    What I'm wondering: Is there a way to make the script execute regardless
    of the location
    this one is easy:
    #!/usr/bin/env python
    provided that python is in the users's path.

    (or even existence) of python on the user's machine
    (basically, compile it into something sort of resembling ye old .EXE
    file)?
    Aye, harder though. This is freeze you're talking about. Look in the
    Tools directory of the python source. See also my prev post on how to do
    it on Windoze.

    Cheers,
    Alex
    --
    Alex Maranda mailto: amaranda at spider dot com
    Spider Software Ltd. Tel: +44 (0)131 4757036
    Syniq> I know that
    Syniq> #! /something/blah/whatever/python

    Syniq> as the first line in your code will make your "program" an
    Syniq> executeable(sp?), but this assumes that your user has python
    Syniq> installed in /something/blah/whatever/python.

    Syniq> What I'm wondering: Is there a way to make the script execute
    Syniq> regardless of the location (or even existence) of python on the
    Syniq> user's machine (basically, compile it into something sort of
    Syniq> resembling ye old .EXE file)?

    Two things come to mind. One, assuming Python is somewhere on the user's
    path, use

    #!/usr/bin/env python

    as the first line. Two, check out the various freeze/squeeze/xfreeze
    packages available for Python. Poking around http://www.python.org/search
    should yield some positive leads.

    Skip Montanaro | http://www.mojam.com/
    skip at mojam.com | http://www.musi-cal.com/~skip/
    847-971-7098 | Python: Programming the way Guido indented...
  • Syniq at Aug 26, 1999 at 3:51 am

    Skip Montanaro wrote:
    Check out the various freeze/squeeze/xfreeze
    packages available for Python. Poking around http://www.python.org/search
    should yield some positive leads.
    Skip and Alex:

    Thank you both! I will check out fr/squ/xfreeze, but I think that's what I
    need. Thank you very much. Thank you, thank you thank you!

    I have read in many books and on several websites that you can get help for
    __________ (insert random
    computer related subject) in comp.something.________ or on some IRC
    chatroom...yet when I get there, what I find is either porn or a bunch of
    nonsense--no help. What I've read and what I've experienced with this group
    tells me it's different. Thank you so much for showing me some of the
    community support for which linux is so famous. I hope that at some point,
    I will be able to provide the same service to another user.

    Syniq

grouppython-list @
categoriespython
postedAug 25, '99 at 12:00p