Up to now we use simple logging to files.
We don't use syslog or an other server based solution.
I am unsure which architecture works for our environment.
- django based applications
- a lot of batch/cron jobs (non web gui) processing
- One linux server runs several systems. Each system has its own virtualenv.
- servers are running in the intranet of our customers.
- We have access via VPN, but it is slow. And sometimes down for some minutes.
- 40MByte logs per day per server.
Why we are unhappy with logging to files:
- filtering: We don't want to get INFO messages over the VPN.
Background: Sometimes a there is too much logging and we don't want
to pull gigabytes over the VPN.
- Rotating: Rotating files is possible, but somehow cumbersome.
- Support structured logging of values (json) in the future.
I have not locked at Sentry or Logstash in detail.
Which solution could fit for our environment?
Please ask if you have question!