I've installed 3.5 for all users so it's in C:\Program Files

  From
https://docs.python.org/3.5/using/windows.html#from-the-command-line it
says "System-wide installations of Python 3.3 and later will put the
launcher on your PATH. The launcher is compatible with all available
versions of Python, so it does not matter which version is installed. To
check that the launcher is available, execute the following command in
Command Prompt:", but:-

C:\Users\Mark\Documents\MyPython>py -3.4
'py' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Further running ftype shows nothing for Python, assoc just gives this
.pyproj=VisualStudio.Launcher.pyproj.14.0. Surely this is wrong?

Before I go to the bug tracker to raise an issue could somebody please
confirm what I'm seeing, thanks.

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence

Search Discussions

  • Tim Golden at Sep 10, 2015 at 10:20 am

    I've installed 3.5 for all users so it's in C:\Program Files

    From
    https://docs.python.org/3.5/using/windows.html#from-the-command-line it
    says "System-wide installations of Python 3.3 and later will put the
    launcher on your PATH. The launcher is compatible with all available
    versions of Python, so it does not matter which version is installed. To
    check that the launcher is available, execute the following command in
    Command Prompt:", but:-

    C:\Users\Mark\Documents\MyPython>py -3.4
    'py' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

    Further running ftype shows nothing for Python, assoc just gives this
    .pyproj=VisualStudio.Launcher.pyproj.14.0. Surely this is wrong?

    Before I go to the bug tracker to raise an issue could somebody please
    confirm what I'm seeing, thanks.

    Well I've just installed 64-bit 3.5.0rc4 via the web installer (ie this:
    https://www.python.org/ftp/python/3.5.0/python-3.5.0rc4-amd64-webinstall.exe)
    onto a machine with 64-bit 3.4.2 already installed. I went for the
    default install.

    It all seems to be ok and py -3.4 --version gives me "Python 3.4.2" as
    expected. assoc/ftype both look ok. c:\windows\py.exe has the versions &
    dates I expect.

    TJG
  • Mark Lawrence at Sep 10, 2015 at 3:56 pm

[...]

    So I ran the 64-bit 3.5.0rc4 via the web installer and still no joy.
    Ran repair with same and it's business as usual. I'm not that bothered,
    it's here for the record should anybody else come searching, so chalk it
    up to experience and move on. Thanks anyway :)

    what you can do for our language.

    Mark Lawrence

grouppython-list @
categoriespython
postedSep 9, '15 at 11:52p
activeSep 10, '15 at 3:56p
websitepython.org

2 users in discussion

Mark Lawrence: 2 posts Tim Golden: 1 post