Hi!

I took a look at tkinter. It is pretty simple but it's very hard to
construct some relatively more complex widgets.

So I looked at pmw.
Because my system only have pmw for python2, I downloaded pmw2 from its
site and installed it manually using pysetup.py install.

Trying the examples ...:
Some run fine.
Some just segfault!
Others crash with the folloing message:
  "No such Pmw version 'on3-pmw-doc'. Using default version '2.0.0'"

Is there anybody using pmw who can explain possible reasons for this?

Should I use it for small apps that need:
  1 or more canvas scrollable windows?
  1 scrollable list with several (few) column editable fields?

Do I need to go to more complex system like wxwidgets or pyside (QT)?
I looked at the last one but, from the 1st steps, it seems too complex.

Thanks.

Search Discussions

  • Michael Torrie at Sep 6, 2015 at 7:20 pm

    Do I need to go to more complex system like wxwidgets or pyside (QT)?
    I looked at the last one but, from the 1st steps, it seems too complex.

    Before anyone can suggest toolkits to look at, what kind of GUI are you
    trying to build? What kind of "complex" widgets are you trying to
    construct? By their very nature "complex" widgets are going to be,
    well, complex. Do you need data-driven forms?
  • Laura Creighton at Sep 6, 2015 at 7:27 pm

[...]

    Did you get it from PyPI?
    https://pypi.python.org/pypi/Pmw/2.0.0 ?

    Last I heard Andy Robinson of reportlab had made it work with Python3.0,
    so you might ask him about bizarre crashes.

    You might also want to look at kivy, which works on desktops as well as
    on mobile devices. Get the examples directory and run the demos to see
    if what it can do looks like what you want.

    Laura
  • Terry Reedy at Sep 6, 2015 at 7:33 pm

    I took a look at tkinter. It is pretty simple but it's very hard to
    construct some relatively more complex widgets.

    So I looked at pmw.
    Because my system only have pmw for python2, I downloaded pmw2 from its
    site and installed it manually using pysetup.py install.
    Trying the examples ...:

    First run Tools/Script/2to3.py to convert 2.x code to 3.x code. See the
    docstring.

    --
    Terry Jan Reedy
  • Paulo da Silva at Sep 7, 2015 at 1:40 am

    Do I need to go to more complex system like wxwidgets or pyside (QT)?
    I looked at the last one but, from the 1st steps, it seems too complex.
    Before anyone can suggest toolkits to look at, what kind of GUI are you
    trying to build?

    It's in the post.
    Simple widgets except for one multicolumn scrollable and editable list
    and, in another case, a few grouped scrollable canvas.
  • Christian Gollwitzer at Sep 7, 2015 at 5:24 am

    Do I need to go to more complex system like wxwidgets or pyside (QT)?
    I looked at the last one but, from the 1st steps, it seems too complex.
    Before anyone can suggest toolkits to look at, what kind of GUI are you
    trying to build?
    It's in the post.
    Simple widgets except for one multicolumn scrollable and editable list
    and, in another case, a few grouped scrollable canvas.
    For a multicolumn editable list I suggest using tablelist. There are
    Python bindings around. Scrolling in Tk is generally done by grouping
    together scrollbars and widgets in a frame and connecting the scrollbars
    scrollcommands with xview/yview.

      Christian
  • Paulo da Silva at Sep 8, 2015 at 1:04 am