:

Note: I drafted a version of this post earlier today. I had been waiting
to see whether Nikos succeeded in baiting the list into yet another
round of unpleasantness before sending it, because I didn't want to
worsen the situation, but at this point things are completely out of
hand, and even what looks like a consensus attempt to ignore Nikos out
of existence is

a) failing: I count eighteen emails so far today.

b) going to lead casual visitors to assume either that we ignore
requests for help or that the list is Nikos' personal echo chamber.

At this point I consider Nikos' actions a conscious attack on the list.
There is simply no way, after the many times he's been told not to
repost, that this is anything other than a direct and deliberate attempt
to annoy as many people as he can.

That being the case, I'd like to know whether there are technical
measures that can be taken to prevent him from posting here.

I understand that the mail/news gateway might complicate that, and that
any measures taken could be bypassed by someone with sufficient skill. I
suspect that in this particular case the latter issue is less relevant
than it might otherwise be.

I don't believe that killfiles are a sufficient response in this
situation.

I can, of course, stop Nikos' posts reaching me, and without too much
hassle also stop replies to his posts reaching me. He would, however,
continue to pollute the list in public, and his posts, whether replied
to or not at the volume he's now sending them, would continue to damage
the reputation of the list and, ultimately, I think possibly kill it.

This is a last-ditch request, and not one I particularly expect to
succeed, but I honestly can't stand to watch this happen to python-list
for very much longer, and am very close to unsubscribing after six years
as an admittedly not very active member.

  -[]z.

--
Zero Piraeus: pollice verso
http://etiol.net/pubkey.asc

Search Discussions

  • Nikos at Nov 17, 2013 at 5:16 pm

    ???? 17/11/2013 7:09 ??, ?/? Zero Piraeus ??????:
    :

[...]

    Is this your doing?

    [18:03:55 secure root at 4385109 /lib64]cPs# ls -al |grep libkey
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 Jun 22 2012 libkeyutils.so.1 ->
    libkeyutils.so.1.3.0*

    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 10192 Jun 22 2012 libkeyutils.so.1.3*
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 32920 Jun 22 2012 libkeyutils.so.1.3.0*
    [18:03:57 secure root at 4385109 /lib64]cPs# rpm -qf libkeyutils.so.1.3.0
    file /lib64/libkeyutils.so.1.3.0 is not owned by any package

    It appears that my server has been compromised with a malicious payload
    designed to sniff for and steal server passwords.

    I'am sure this is your doing Zero Piraeus.

    --
    What is now proved was at first only imagined!
  • Zero Piraeus at Nov 17, 2013 at 5:37 pm

    I'd really rather not, but since this is a public accusation of criminal
    behaviour:

    [18:03:55 secure root at 4385109 /lib64]cPs# ls -al |grep libkey
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 Jun 22 2012 libkeyutils.so.1 ->
    libkeyutils.so.1.3.0*

    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 10192 Jun 22 2012 libkeyutils.so.1.3*
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 32920 Jun 22 2012 libkeyutils.so.1.3.0*
    [18:03:57 secure root at 4385109 /lib64]cPs# rpm -qf libkeyutils.so.1.3.0
    file /lib64/libkeyutils.so.1.3.0 is not owned by any package

    It appears that my server has been compromised with a malicious
    payload designed to sniff for and steal server passwords.

    I'am sure this is your doing Zero Piraeus.

    It is not my doing. Please desist from defaming me. I will not respond
    here, or except through legal counsel should that prove necessary, to
    further communications from you.

    I will, however, point out that the last time you were embarrassed in
    public over your inability to maintain the security of your business and
    that of your clients, I attempted in private to assist you in resolving
    your issue.

      -[]z.

    --
    Zero Piraeus: dictatum erat
    http://etiol.net/pubkey.asc

    ???? 17/11/2013 7:37 ??, ?/? Zero Piraeus ??????:
    :

[...]

    You did, but chances are you also imported a good password sniffer whn
    you logged in as root.

    You had also altered my .htaccess file.
    What is now proved was at first only imagined!
  • Chris “Kwpolska” Warrick at Nov 17, 2013 at 5:16 pm

[...]

    We could report abuse to his server, eternal-september.org[0]. I
    tried to do this, but they wanted fancy usenetty headers, and I am not
    equipped to get them.

    Now, we can try reporting for (a) abusive trolling; (b) excessive
    morphing for killfile evasion (my original attempted report); (c) spam
    (if I understand the Breidbart Index correctly, we might have to wait
    for this, at least two emails to be precise)

    [0]: http://www.eternal-september.org/index.php?showpage=abuse

    --
    Chris ?Kwpolska? Warrick <http://kwpolska.tk>
    PGP: 5EAAEA16

    We could report abuse to his server, eternal-september.org[0]. I
    tried to do this, but they wanted fancy usenetty headers, and I am not
    equipped to get them.

    I have reported to that address. It's up to them whether they consider
    it abuse. (And their FAQ page suggests that it's a fairly high hurdle).

    TJG
  • Ned Batchelder at Nov 17, 2013 at 5:17 pm

[...]

    Nikos's behavior has been escalating, and is particularly bad today. But I'd like to point out that everyone else's has been better than ever: the latest threads have been ignored. We have not been descending into anger and vitriol.

    I can't say what will happen in the future, but I would expect an exasperated help vampire to behave precisely this way as the counter-measures (ignoring) because more effective.

    --Ned.
  • Nikos at Nov 17, 2013 at 5:33 pm

    ???? 17/11/2013 7:17 ??, ?/? Ned Batchelder ??????:
[...]

    You said you would help but you didn't.

    4 days i struggle with this.

    All you do is preventing people from helping me.
  • Antoine Pitrou at Nov 17, 2013 at 5:20 pm

    Zero Piraeus <z <at> etiol.net> writes:

    I don't believe that killfiles are a sufficient response in this
    situation.

    I can, of course, stop Nikos' posts reaching me, and without too much
    hassle also stop replies to his posts reaching me. He would, however,
    continue to pollute the list in public, and his posts, whether replied
    to or not at the volume he's now sending them, would continue to damage
    the reputation of the list and, ultimately, I think possibly kill it.

    As an occasional reader (and even more occasional poster), I agree with
    this. As far as I'm concerned, if I were the list owner and if it were
    easy to ban him, I would already have banned him for a long time. I
    believe it is not desirable to let poisonous posters do their thing,
    even if "they might improve". The time spent trying to improve a troll
    is time not spent caring about and helping other, more benevolent posters,
    which makes it really harmful to the community (not only pointless) trying
    to improve a troll.

    As for the "but banning him would impede free expression" argument,
    I'd say that people who want a "perfectly free" discussion space can
    always open their own. We'll see how well it fares in practice, but
    I'm not holding my hopes very high :-)

    Regards

    Antoine.
  • Tim Golden at Nov 17, 2013 at 5:21 pm

[...]

    Thanks for bringing this up, Zero. Nikos appears to be posting through
    Usenet, apparently via eternal-september. I have emailed their abuse
    address to ask if any action can be taken. I have also asked the
    postmaster at python.org what our option are the mail-news gateway.

    Obviously this isn't just about one poster: we need a means to (trying
    to think of a better word than "police") the mailing list while allowing
    for the usual give and take of off-topicness, temporary argumentation
    and general banter. I and others are trying to bring to a focus off-list
    discussions about who has the appropriate responsibility and right to
    act in these cases.

    FWIW today's outpouring has been more comical than tragic with few
    people taking the bait :)

    TJG
  • Nikos at Nov 17, 2013 at 5:24 pm

    ???? 17/11/2013 7:21 ??, ?/? Tim Golden ??????:
[...]

    How difficult will it be to just use another free NEWS server to post
    here or even under another mail address or another name or ALL of them
    simultaneously?
    --
    What is now proved was at first only imagined!
  • Mark Lawrence at Nov 17, 2013 at 5:33 pm

[...]

    I entirely agree with the sentiments expressed above. Would the Python
    Software Foundation (I assume?) please take whatever steps it can to
    prevent Nikos posting here? This is justified on the grounds of today's
    behaviour alone. Add in previous days when perhaps 95% of the bandwidth
    has been taken up by his posts and I know it's time to say enough is enough.

    TIA.

    But the best has yet to be invented. Christian Tismer

    Mark Lawrence
  • Georg Brandl at Nov 17, 2013 at 5:44 pm

    This is a last-ditch request, and not one I particularly expect to
    succeed, but I honestly can't stand to watch this happen to python-list
    for very much longer, and am very close to unsubscribing after six years
    as an admittedly not very active member.

    -[]z.
    I entirely agree with the sentiments expressed above. Would the Python
    Software Foundation (I assume?) please take whatever steps it can to
    prevent Nikos posting here? This is justified on the grounds of today's
    behaviour alone. Add in previous days when perhaps 95% of the bandwidth
    has been taken up by his posts and I know it's time to say enough is enough.

    As another lurking member, I can only say this:

    Folks, it's your decision to let this matter die. As long as python-list is
    coupled to Usenet, there will be little to no barrier to posting, and the
    only way to get rid of trolls is to ignore them.

    Let the barrage of posts continue for a few more days; if he doesn't get
    replies he will get fed up eventually.

    cheers,
    Georg
  • Yaşar Arabacı at Nov 17, 2013 at 5:50 pm