$ tar -xjvf Python-3.4.tar.bz2
$ cd Python-3.3.2
$ ./configure
$ make && make test
$ su
# make install
# exit
$ $ cd ../ && rm -rf Python-3.4

root at secure [/home/nikos/www/cgi-bin]# python3 -V
Python 3.4.0a4

can yu please tell me where python 3.4a was placed in the system?

i tried

#!/usr/bin/python3
#!/usr/local/bin/python3

and also is there a way to call it like #!/usr/bin/python

i know it can be done via ln 0s but i have to know where the newest
python got installed.

Thank you.

Search Discussions

  • Ferrous Cranus at Nov 13, 2013 at 2:21 pm

    ???? 13/11/2013 4:17 ??, ?/? Ferrous Cranus ??????:
    $ mkdir temp
    $ cd temp
    $ wget http://www.python.org/ftp/python/3.4/Python-3.4.tar.bz2
    $ tar -xjvf Python-3.4.tar.bz2
    $ cd Python-3.3.2
    $ ./configure
    $ make && make test
    $ su
    # make install
    # exit
    $ $ cd ../ && rm -rf Python-3.4

    root at secure [/home/nikos/www/cgi-bin]# python3 -V
    Python 3.4.0a4

    can yu please tell me where python 3.4a was placed in the system?

    i tried

    #!/usr/bin/python3
    #!/usr/local/bin/python3

    and also is there a way to call it like #!/usr/bin/python

    i know it can be done via ln 0s but i have to know where the newest
    python got installed.

    Thank you.

    I also tried to install pip and easy_install on my CentOS but could not
    find them.

    How can I install them?

    Also, I have two versions of Python, 2.6.6 and 3.4a. How will pip make
    sure to link newly installed components with Python 3.4a ?
  • Chris “Kwpolska” Warrick at Nov 13, 2013 at 2:23 pm

    root at secure [/home/nikos/www/cgi-bin]# python3 -V
    Python 3.4.0a4

    can yu please tell me where python 3.4a was placed in the system?

    i tried

    #!/usr/bin/python3
    #!/usr/local/bin/python3

    and also is there a way to call it like #!/usr/bin/python

    i know it can be done via ln 0s but i have to know where the newest python
    got installed.

    Thank you.

    The command you are looking for is: which python3
    Alternatively, you could run `where python3` to see how big the mess
    on your system is (i.e. how many interpreters you have).

    --
    Chris ?Kwpolska? Warrick <http://kwpolska.tk>
    PGP: 5EAAEA16

    ???? 13/11/2013 4:23 ??, ?/? Chris ?Kwpolska? Warrick ??????:
    root at secure [/home/nikos/www/cgi-bin]# python3 -V
    Python 3.4.0a4

    can yu please tell me where python 3.4a was placed in the system?

    i tried

    #!/usr/bin/python3
    #!/usr/local/bin/python3

    and also is there a way to call it like #!/usr/bin/python

    i know it can be done via ln 0s but i have to know where the newest python
    got installed.

    Thank you.
    The command you are looking for is: which python3
    Alternatively, you could run `where python3` to see how big the mess
    on your system is (i.e. how many interpreters you have).

    root at secure [~]# which python3
    /usr/local/bin/python3
    root at secure [~]# where pyhton3
    -bash: where: command not found

    also how can a link the newset python to just /usr/bin/python.
    here is what i tried

    root at secure [~]# ln -s /usr/local/bin/python3 /usr/bin/python
    ln: creating symbolic link `/usr/bin/python': File exists
    root at secure [~]#
  • Steven D'Aprano at Nov 13, 2013 at 3:59 pm