Hi, I am working with Tkinter, and I have set up some simple code to run:

import tkinter
import re
from tkinter import *

global master
master = Tk()

# Start game Launcher
def FormGUI():
master.title("GAME TITLE")
SW = master.winfo_screenwidth() / 3.2
SH = master.winfo_screenheight() / 3.2
master.geometry("500x300+%d+%d" % (SW, SH))
Label(master,text="game:\nGAME TITLE").pack()
Button(master, text="Start game", command=DestroyStart, takefocus=1).pack()
master.wm_state(zoom)

# Destroy the GUI launcher window upon player starting the game.
def DestroyStart():
global master
master.destroy()
master = Tk()
ReformGui()

# Form the game's GUI window in full screen.
def ReformGui():
master.title("GAME TITLE")
SW = master.winfo_screenwidth()
SH = master.winfo_screenheight()
master.geometry("%dx%d+0+0" % (SW,SH))
master.attributes("-fullscreen", 1)
master.configure(bg="black")
Label(master, text="\"GAME TESTING TEXT\"",
background="black", foreground="white").pack()

FormGUI()

master.mainloop()

# END OF CODE

Everything in this code runs appropriately. The main goal of this code is to open up two windows, one with fixed dimensions, the other with full-screen enabled.

My problem is that with the code above, the full-screen window opens up properly, however my taskbar shows over the full-screen. Until I click on the full-screen window, the taskbar will not be hidden.

Am I doing something wrong, or is there a better way to create a full-screen window in Tkinter with the taskbar hidden?

Note: Removing the 'import re' code above fixes the taskbar problem, however the re module is apparently needed as I can't run the program properly as an executable. Importing re fixes this problem. I'm running this program under Windows.

Search Discussions

  • Jason Swails at Apr 4, 2013 at 1:49 pm
    I've added some comments about the code in question as well...

    Hi, I am working with Tkinter, and I have set up some simple code to run:

    import tkinter
    import re
    from tkinter import *

    If you import everything from tkinter into your top-level namespace, then
    the "import tkinter" at the top serves no purpose.

    global master

    This 'global master' statement does nothing (and is actually misleading
    IMO).

    master = Tk()

    # Start game Launcher
    def FormGUI():
    master.title("GAME TITLE")
    SW = master.winfo_screenwidth() / 3.2
    SH = master.winfo_screenheight() / 3.2
    master.geometry("500x300+%d+%d" % (SW, SH))
    Label(master,text="game:\nGAME TITLE").pack()
    Button(master, text="Start game", command=DestroyStart,
    takefocus=1).pack()
    master.wm_state(zoom)

    What is "zoom"? This variable is not defined. In fact, I get a NameError
    when I try running your code because of this:

    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "test_tk.py", line 38, in <module>
    FormGUI()
    File "test_tk.py", line 18, in FormGUI
    master.wm_state(zoom)
    NameError: global name 'zoom' is not defined

    If I change zoom to "normal" (with quotes), it appears to work (although
    I'm testing on Linux, not Windows).

[...]

    This sounds to me that your full screen window does not have the focus
    (i.e., it is not the `active' window). Try adding a "master.focus_force()"
    call in the ReformGui function to force it to take focus. Note that
    focus_force() is often considered 'impolite'---it's akin to that kid that
    always needs to be the center of attention. Of course it's not as bad as
    master.grab_set_global :)

    If your application already has 'focus', then you can use focus_set instead
    of focus_force. The problem may be that you are destroying the original
    master window and re-creating another (I typically avoid destroying the
    root window mid-application).

    Also as a note, it would be helpful to have some kind of button or
    something to exit the app or exit fullscreen. I had to Alt-F4 in order to
    quit your sample program ;).

    Hope this helps,
    Jason
    -------------- next part --------------
    An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
  • Rotwang at Apr 4, 2013 at 5:30 pm

    I've added some comments about the code in question as well...

    On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 11:45 PM, <teslafrequency at aol.com
    Hi, I am working with Tkinter, and I have set up some simple code to
    run:

    import tkinter
    import re
    from tkinter import *

    If you import everything from tkinter into your top-level namespace,
    then the "import tkinter" at the top serves no purpose.

    I don't know whether this applies to the OP's code, but I can think of
    at least one reason why one would want both "import module" and "from
    module import*" at the top of one's code: monkey patching.
  • Jason Swails at Apr 4, 2013 at 7:00 pm

    I've added some comments about the code in question as well...

    On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 11:45 PM, <teslafrequency at aol.com