Hello

Apache fails running this basic CGI script that I found on the Net:

www.acme.com/cgi-bin/test.py?name=myname
===========
#!/usr/bin/env python

# Import modules for CGI handling
import cgi, cgitb

cgitb.enable()

# Create instance of FieldStorage
form = cgi.FieldStorage()

# Get data from field 'name'
#name = form['name'].value
name = form.getvalue('name')
===========

This is what I get:
===========
"Internal Server Error

unable to complete your request.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to
use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."
===========

FWIW, the script lives in www/cgi-bin/ where it should, was chmoded to
755, and I put the following .htaccess file:
===========
Options +ExecCGI
AddHandler cgi-script .py
===========

I'm not sure where to look for an error. Could it be some non-printed,
bad characters that prevent Python from compiling the source code?

Thanks for any help.

Search Discussions

  • Gilles at Aug 20, 2012 at 11:56 am
    Found it: The script MUST return something to the browser. I was
    missing this:

    ========
    print "Content-Type: text/html;charset=utf-8"
    print

    # print a document
    print "Name is %s" % ( cgi.escape(name), )
    ========

    Sorry about that.
  • Rod Person at Aug 20, 2012 at 11:59 am

[...]

    Check the Apache error log, there should be more information there.

    Rod Person http://www.rodperson.com rodperson at rodperson.com

    Sent From Claws Mail 3.8.0cvs30 Win7 x86 GTK+ 2.16.6/GLib 2.24.0
  • Gilles at Aug 20, 2012 at 1:50 pm

    Check the Apache error log, there should be more information there.
    It's a shared account, so I only have access to what's in cPanel,
    which didn't display anything. Problem solved.

    Thank you.
  • Hans Mulder at Aug 20, 2012 at 2:56 pm