Desktop apps don't seem to be the wave of the future, but they still
serve a useful purpose today. They can be ideal for a quick database
table management screen, or a data entry front end for a program with
a bunch of parameters. It's not easy enough to build a quick utility
with a GUI front end, though. Wax and PythonCard (and maybe others)
tried to hit that niche, but development on both is spotty at best.
Some claim that Dabo's gui builder is a good one for this purpose, and
maybe it can be. Are there any other, better solutions?

I've been looking at Rebol lately, and it has some points of interest.
I much prefer Python as a language, but Rebol View's layout
specifications are wonderfully concise, and the support code seems to
be fairly straightforward as well. Has anyone tried to mimic their
approach in Python?

--
rzed

Search Discussions

  • Luis M. González at Jun 11, 2011 at 5:02 pm
    As you said, desktop apps are losing appeal.
    I suggest looking for a web based solution. Perhaps python +
    silverlight? (I haven't tried it though).
    Unfortunately, the client-side (browser) is the domain of javascript.

    What I'm doing is polishing my html/css skills coupled with jquery. I
    have lost faith in a python solution for these tasks.
    Although there's something close enough that can make your experience
    totally different: Coffeescript.

    This is an enhanced syntax layer on top of javascript, inspired in
    python and ruby, which feels like a breath of fresh air to any python
    or ruby programmer. It plays very well with jquery and gives you all
    the pythonic goodies you are used to, like list comprehensions (called
    array and object comprehensions), slicing, ranges, etc. Coffeescript
    pre compiles your code to pure javascript so there's no performance
    degradation at all.

    If it does not convince you and you still prefer a python solution,
    you may want to check pyjamas (a port of GWT to python).
    There are also some experiments such as Skulp to have python running
    in the browser, although this approach implies a serious performance
    hit, since it's a full python implementation in javascript.

    regards,
    Luis
  • Python at Jun 11, 2011 at 5:22 pm
    Luis,

    Not the OP, but thank you for passing on the CoffeeScript recommendation
    - looks very interesting!!
    http://jashkenas.github.com/coffee-script/

    Regards,
    Malcolm
  • Tim Johnson at Jun 11, 2011 at 6:02 pm

    * rzed [110611 05:14]:
    Desktop apps don't seem to be the wave of the future, but they still
    serve a useful purpose today. They can be ideal for a quick database
    table management screen, or a data entry front end for a program with
    a bunch of parameters. It's not easy enough to build a quick utility
    with a GUI front end, though. Wax and PythonCard (and maybe others)
    tried to hit that niche, but development on both is spotty at best.
    Some claim that Dabo's gui builder is a good one for this purpose, and
    maybe it can be. Are there any other, better solutions?

    I've been looking at Rebol lately, and it has some points of interest.
    I much prefer Python as a language, but Rebol View's layout
    specifications are wonderfully concise, and the support code seems to
    be fairly straightforward as well. Has anyone tried to mimic their
    approach in Python?
    I've used rebol for over 11 years. Longer than I have used python.
    I've not used rebol/view however, since my meal-ticket is console
    and web progamming. I'm guessing that you are going to find that
    difficult to do, but my suggestion would be:

    1)Get into one of the rebol communities - probably thru altme.
    2)You will find that most rebol programmers work in other
    languages also, and quite a few (like me) in python.
    3)You are likely to get a lot of ideas there.

    cheers
    --
    Tim
    tim at johnsons-web dot com or akwebsoft dot com

    Desktop apps don't seem to be the wave of the future, but they still
    serve a useful purpose today. They can be ideal for a quick database
    table management screen,
    +1, they are perfect for that, and will be around for a *long* *long*
    time. And I doubt they will ever go away - the web app will change to
    be more desktopish. Gtk already has an experimental HTML canvas
    backend, GNOME3 is a canvas controlled via JavaScript, etc...
    or a data entry front end for a program with
    a bunch of parameters. It's not easy enough to build a quick utility
    with a GUI front end, though. Wax and PythonCard (and maybe others)
    tried to hit that niche, but development on both is spotty at best.
    Some claim that Dabo's gui builder is a good one for this purpose, and
    maybe it can be. Are there any other, better solutions?
    My advice is to keep it simple. Gtk/Glade works perfectly well for this
    purpose. The glue code required is trivial.
  • Wolfgang Keller at Jun 12, 2011 at 5:17 pm
    Are there any other, better solutions?
    Others are e.g.:
    - Pypapi
    - Camelot
    - Kiwi
    - Sqlkit
    - Gnuenterprise
    etc...

    Sincerely,

    Wolfgang

    --
    F?hrungskr?fte leisten keine Arbeit (D'Alembert)
  • Wolfgang Keller at Jun 13, 2011 at 6:10 pm

    Are there any other, better solutions?
    Others are e.g.:
    - Pypapi
    - Camelot
    - Kiwi
    - Sqlkit
    - Gnuenterprise
    And I've just learned of another one:

    - QtAlchemy

    Sincerely,

    Wolfgang

    --
    F?hrungskr?fte leisten keine Arbeit (D'Alembert)
  • Rzed at Jun 13, 2011 at 11:46 pm
    Are there any other, better solutions?
    Others are e.g.:
    - Pypapi
    - Camelot
    - Kiwi
    - Sqlkit
    - Gnuenterprise
    etc...

    Sincerely,

    Wolfgang
    Many thanks to all of you for the interesting responses. As is so
    often the case with Python, there are many options, and many possible
    approaches to solutions for the same problem. I have some reading to
    do, I see.

    --
    rzed

grouppython-list @