Hi all,

Just a quick question , I have a simple script I want to convert into a windows installer and give to some friends.
I had a look at http://docs.python.org/distutils/introduction.html and wrote this setup script:

#!/usr/bin/env python

from distutils.core import setup

setup(name="C:\data\Sendmailmsg.py",
version='1.0',
description='Python Distribution Utilities',
author='Sebas929 ',
author_email=' ',
url=' ',
py_modules=['urllib','smtplib'],
)

I tried to run this - "C:\Data\Setup.py" bdist_wininst - in a cmd prompt.
C:\Data\ contains my script Sendmailmsg.py and Setup.py
I am getting the error :

file urllib.py (for module urllib) not found
file smtplib.py (for module smtplib) not found
file urllib.py (for module urllib) not found
file smtplib.py (for module smtplib) not found

warning: install_lib: 'build\lib' does not exist -- no Python modules to install

This creates an installer which crashes when I use it.

I have a few questions:
How can I fix this error ?

Can I use '.\myscript.py' in the name parameter to make it look in the same directory as setup.py?

When I have it as an installer what happens? When I install it will there be something you can click which will run the script?

I have never tried this before so I am probably missing something obvious, thanks in advance for any help.

Search Discussions

  • Mark Hammond at Jun 5, 2011 at 1:28 pm

    Just a quick question , I have a simple script I want to convert into a windows installer and give to some friends.
    I had a look at http://docs.python.org/distutils/introduction.html and wrote this setup script:

    #!/usr/bin/env python

    from distutils.core import setup

    setup(name="C:\data\Sendmailmsg.py",
    version='1.0',
    description='Python Distribution Utilities',
    author='Sebas929 ',
    author_email=' ',
    url=' ',
    py_modules=['urllib','smtplib'],
    )

    I tried to run this - "C:\Data\Setup.py" bdist_wininst - in a cmd prompt.
    C:\Data\ contains my script Sendmailmsg.py and Setup.py
    I am getting the error :
    I think you misunderstand what bdist_wininst is for and probably want
    py2exe (where you just tell it you want to package Sendmailmsg.py and it
    finds all other dependent modules like smtplib etc, bundles them up with
    a full python runtime and rolls it into a nice executable)

    HTH,

    Mark

grouppython-list @
categoriespython