What is mrjob?
mrjob is a Python package that helps you write and run Hadoop Streaming jobs.
mrjob fully supports Amazon's Elastic MapReduce (EMR) service, which
allows you to buy time on a Hadoop cluster on an hourly basis. It also
works with your own Hadoop cluster.
Some important features:
* Run jobs on EMR, your own Hadoop cluster, or locally (for testing).
* Write multi-step jobs (one map-reduce step feeds into the next)
* Duplicate your production environment inside Hadoop
* Upload your source tree and put it in your job's $PYTHONPATH
* Run make and other setup scripts
* Set environment variables (e.g. $TZ)
* Easily install python packages from tarballs (EMR only)
* Setup handled transparently by mrjob.conf config file
* Automatically interpret error logs from EMR
* SSH tunnel to hadoop job tracker on EMR
* Minimal setup
* To run on EMR, set $AWS_ACCESS_KEY_ID and $AWS_SECRET_ACCESS_KEY
* To run on your Hadoop cluster, install simplejson and make sure
$HADOOP_HOME is set.
* Install mrjob: python setup.py install
* Documentation: http://packages.python.org/mrjob/
* PyPI: http://pypi.python.org/pypi/mrjob
* Development is hosted at github: http://github.com/Yelp/mrjob
v0.2.6, 2011-05-24 -- fix bootstrapping mrjob
?* Set Hadoop to run on EMR with --hadoop-version (Issue #71).
? * Default is still 0.18, but will change to 0.20 in mrjob v0.3.0.
?* New inline runner, for testing locally with a debugger
?* New --strict-protocols option, to catch unencodable data (Issue #76)
?* Added steps_python_bin option (for use with virtualenv)
?* mrjob no longer chokes when asked to run on an EMR job flow running
Hadoop 0.20 (Issue #110)
?* mrjob no longer chokes on job flows with no LogUri (Issue #112)