I have created a distutils setup.py script that installs a list of packages
(all subpackages of one main package). Some packages have package_data files
(icons, translations, etc).

Running setup.py install on my Linux system (python 2.6) perfectly installs
all package data, but on Windows (tested with both 2.6 and 2.7) the
package_data is not installed at all. Also not picked up in build, or
bdist_wininst, etc. Only the Python files in the packages are installed.

The setup.py file can be seen at
https://github.com/wbsoft/frescobaldi/blob/master/setup.py

I later added the package_dir incantation, but it doesn't help on Windows and
on Linux it worked perfectly without.

Does anybody have a clue why Python distutils on Windows ignore the
package_data?

(Note: sdist perfectly works as the data files are also listed in MANIFEST.in)
tia,
Wilbert Berendsen

Search Discussions

  • Wilbert Berendsen at May 21, 2011 at 1:57 pm
    Solved: the problem was right there in the packagelist() function, it
    replaced '/' with dots instead of using os.sep ...

    I'm very sorry for the noise, although it's surprising everything else
    works without dots in the packages names :-)

    with regard,
    Wilbert Berendsen

grouppython-list @
categoriespython