I'm using optparse for a little Python script.

1. The output from "--help" is:
"""
Usage: script.py <arg>

script.py does something

-h, --help show this help message and exit
"""

I would prefer to have the description before the usage, like...
"""
script.py does something

Usage: script.py <arg>

-h, --help show this help message and exit
"""

2. The output from "--doesnotexit" is:
"""
Usage: script.py <arg>

script.py: error: no such option: --doesnotexist
"""

I would prefer to have the error first, then the usage and additionally
the options, like...
"""
script.py: error: no such option: --doesnotexist

Usage: script.py <arg>

-h, --help show this help message and exit
"""

Is that possible with either optparse or the "new kid on the block"
argparse. If so how?

Thorsten

Search Discussions

  • Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn at May 12, 2011 at 8:22 pm

    Thorsten Kampe wrote:

[...]

    You can easily have #1 with optparse.OptionParser(usage="?")?, but optparse
    is deprecated in favor of argparse.ArgumentParser. I do not think you can
    have #2 with either optparse or argparse: OptionParser() would print the
    error message last, and ArgumentParser() would not print the description
    on error. Subclassing ArgumentParser might be feasible, though.

    ______
    ? <http://PointedEars.de/devel/tools/text/odfinfo/>
    --
    PointedEars

    Bitte keine Kopien per E-Mail. / Please do not Cc: me.
  • Karim at May 12, 2011 at 8:40 pm

[...]

    Please find documentation to configure help in ArgumentParser BUT for
    argparse module:

    - HelpFormatter, RawDescriptionHelpFormatter, RawTextHelpFormatter,
    50 ArgumentDefaultsHelpFormatter -- Formatter classes which
    51 may be passed as the formatter_class= argument to the
    52 ArgumentParser constructor. HelpFormatter is the default,
    53 RawDescriptionHelpFormatter and RawTextHelpFormatter tell
    the parser
    54 not to change the formatting for help text, and
    55 ArgumentDefaultsHelpFormatter adds information about
    argument defaults
    56 to the help.

    So It seems easy to a different pass formatter_class to ArgumentParser.
    You can inherite
    from HelpFormater class but you have to know the implementation details:
    File is located at <python install>/lib/python2.7/argparse.py

    Cheers
    Karim
  • Thorsten Kampe at May 21, 2011 at 9:53 pm
    * Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn (Thu, 12 May 2011 22:22:20 +0200)
    I'm using optparse for a little Python script.

    1. The output from "--help" is:
    """
    Usage: script.py <arg>

    script.py does something

    -h, --help show this help message and exit
    """

    I would prefer to have the description before the usage, like...
    """
    script.py does something

    Usage: script.py <arg>

    -h, --help show this help message and exit
    """
    [...]
    Is that possible with either optparse or the "new kid on the block"
    argparse. If so how?
    You can easily have #1 with optparse.OptionParser(usage="?")?, but optparse
    is deprecated in favor of argparse.ArgumentParser.
    I'm already using usage. That's where optparse has it from. Putting the
    usage message into the description and vice versa is of course not a
    viable way to go.

    Thorsten

grouppython-list @
categoriespython