Hello,

I am trying to get an installer built with distutils to recognize
multiple installations.
The installer currently finds my installation at C:\Python27
I have a custom Python27 built myself with Visual Studio sitting
somewhere else, say C:\MyPython27.

I looked at PC/bdist_wininst/install.c in the GetPythonVersions
routine and see that it is searching Software\Python\PythonCore.

So, I assume I need to get my Python installation listed in the registry.
I am unfamiliar with the Windows Registry
I tried to create another 2.7 key but regedit wouldn't let me.
So, if I can only have one 2.7 key, it would seem that the routine
GetPythonVersions will only ever get 1 version of 2.7.
Does this mean that it is unsupported to have more than one Python 2.7
installation on Windows?

Again, that GetPythonVersions routine looks pretty alien to me.... so
I may be wrong.

Some help please?

Thanks,
~Eric

Search Discussions

  • Martin v. Loewis at Apr 19, 2011 at 9:27 pm

    I tried to create another 2.7 key but regedit wouldn't let me.
    So, if I can only have one 2.7 key, it would seem that the routine
    GetPythonVersions will only ever get 1 version of 2.7.
    Does this mean that it is unsupported to have more than one Python 2.7
    installation on Windows?
    Exactly so - it's unsupported. There are ways around it, but they
    require more familiarity with distutils and Windows internals.

    Regards,
    Martin
  • Mark Hammond at Apr 20, 2011 at 4:14 am

    I am trying to get an installer built with distutils to recognize
    multiple installations.
    The installer currently finds my installation at C:\Python27
    I have a custom Python27 built myself with Visual Studio sitting
    somewhere else, say C:\MyPython27.

    I looked at PC/bdist_wininst/install.c in the GetPythonVersions
    routine and see that it is searching Software\Python\PythonCore.

    So, I assume I need to get my Python installation listed in the registry.
    I am unfamiliar with the Windows Registry
    I tried to create another 2.7 key but regedit wouldn't let me.
    So, if I can only have one 2.7 key, it would seem that the routine
    GetPythonVersions will only ever get 1 version of 2.7.
    Does this mean that it is unsupported to have more than one Python 2.7
    installation on Windows?
    Yes, it does. Only 1 such installed version is considered "the" version
    - although you could just have something temporarily adjust the
    InstallPath entry in the registry.
    Again, that GetPythonVersions routine looks pretty alien to me.... so
    I may be wrong.
    You have it right - although the idea is that if you have a "portable"
    package to install (ie, no C extension modules), that routine will offer
    to install it into *any* Python version.

    Cheers,

    Mark

grouppython-list @
categoriespython