Greetings folks,
I am very new to this usenet forum, and I am brand new to Python3...
so be gentle <please>
The source tarball for Python3 compiled and installed (local install
for first experiments $HOME/local/) and runs very well in my terminal.
I am not able to run IDLE because the compile build process could
not build the _tkinter module, I think because TclTk is not installed on
this system in the standard places... Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty. I have TclTk
installed version 8.5x and tclsh and wish work fine... also IDLE on
python 2.62 works fine too.
I am noticing that setup.py has the path to the TclTk libs hardcoded
for /usr/X11R6/... and my TclTk is not there... so I'm thinking that I
need to direct the setup.py path to the right place and thinngs should
work... but, I'm at a bit of a loss to know exactly what its looking
for... libs, or libs and devel headers? or other?
Help/Hints would be appreciated from the initiated... humbly greatful...

kind regards,
m harris

Search Discussions

  • Peter Otten at Mar 29, 2011 at 8:59 am

    harrismh777 wrote:

    Greetings folks,
    I am very new to this usenet forum, and I am brand new to Python3... Welcome.
    so be gentle <please>
    We don't eat children above the age of three ;)
    The source tarball for Python3 compiled and installed (local install
    for first experiments $HOME/local/) and runs very well in my terminal.
    I am not able to run IDLE because the compile build process could
    not build the _tkinter module, I think because TclTk is not installed on
    this system in the standard places... Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty. I have TclTk
    installed version 8.5x and tclsh and wish work fine... also IDLE on
    python 2.62 works fine too.
    I am noticing that setup.py has the path to the TclTk libs hardcoded
    for /usr/X11R6/... and my TclTk is not there... so I'm thinking that I
    need to direct the setup.py path to the right place and thinngs should
    work... but, I'm at a bit of a loss to know exactly what its looking
    for... libs, or libs and devel headers? or other?
    Most likely the development headers. Try installing tk-dev.
  • Harrismh777 at Mar 29, 2011 at 5:52 pm

    Peter Otten wrote:
    We don't eat children above the age of three;)
    geez... that's good news :)
    work... but, I'm at a bit of a loss to know exactly what its looking
    for... libs, or libs and devel headers? or other?
    Most likely the development headers. Try installing tk-dev.
    Thanks. You're right... I don't have tk-dev installed. duh. And I
    have choices to make... it looks like setup.py is looking for 8.4
    headers; I have TclTk 8.5x installed. From the standard repository it
    looks like I can download and install tk-dev (dependency package) and|or
    tk-dev 8.3, or 8.4, or 8.5... and I am not sure which of these is what
    is needed without causing other problems. Can 8.4 and 8.5 be installed
    together without problem? Does it really matter which of these I use
    for the purpose of python build? If I have TclTk 8.5 installed should I
    only download the 8.5 tk-dev package?

    sorry for being so dense... and I'm definitely over three... way too
    tough for eating or anything like that :}

    kind regards,
  • Terry Reedy at Mar 29, 2011 at 7:42 pm