PyPDF (and others) provide a very nice mechanism for creating and
manipulating PDF documents. Is there any *Python* module or technique
to turn a PDF document into Postscript [to print, for example]?

Search Discussions

  • Chris Rebert at Mar 17, 2011 at 3:53 pm

    PyPDF (and others) provide a very nice mechanism for creating and
    manipulating PDF documents. ?Is there any *Python* module or technique
    to turn a PDF document into Postscript [to print, for example]?
    Considering your post is currently the top Google hit for " "pdf to
    postscript" python ", this seems unlikely. :-(
    From what I can gather, it seems using the pdftops program from xpdf
    or poppler (or the lesser, distinct pdf2ps program) is the way people
    go about handling this.
    Ghostscript is also apparently a possibility.

    Cheers,
    Chris
  • Adam Tauno Williams at Mar 17, 2011 at 5:06 pm

    On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 6:55 AM, Adam Tauno Williams
    PyPDF (and others) provide a very nice mechanism for creating and
    manipulating PDF documents. Is there any *Python* module or technique
    to turn a PDF document into Postscript [to print, for example]?
    Considering your post is currently the top Google hit for " "pdf to
    postscript" python ", this seems unlikely. :-(
    True. I've found the "ghostscript" module which integrates with the GS
    application via ctypes. It 'works' but currently there is an issue with
    redirected stdin/stdout [processing streams].

    <https://bitbucket.org/htgoebel/python-ghostscript>
    From what I can gather, it seems using the pdftops program from xpdf
    or poppler (or the lesser, distinct pdf2ps program) is the way people
    go about handling this.
    Yep, which is a sad and fragile hack.

grouppython-list @
categoriespython