I bought a "Hello World!" book for my 9 year old son. The book teached
"programming for kids" and it does it in Python.

I do not know any Python, but I am very comfortable with C++ and perl.
I wrote a little over 100k lines of perl.

I want to learn Python quickly to help him with his studies/fun.

I would prefer a "no shit" book that quickly teaches a language to
programmers.

Any suggestions?

  • Nn at Mar 4, 2011 at 7:57 pm

    I bought a "Hello World!" book for my 9 year old son. The book teached
    "programming for kids" and it does it in Python.

    I do not know any Python, but I am very comfortable with C++ and perl.
    I wrote a little over 100k lines of perl.

    I want to learn Python quickly to help him with his studies/fun.

    I would prefer a "no shit" book that quickly teaches a language to
    programmers.

    Any suggestions?

    The included ~12 page tutorial was all I needed; the rest was just
    looking up stuff in the standard documentation and messing around at
    the interactive prompt:

    http://docs.python.org/tutorial/index.html
  • Geezah at Mar 4, 2011 at 10:04 pm
    check the link below. (you can read online or get a pdf)

    http://www.swaroopch.com/notes/Python
  • Nicholas Devenish at Mar 6, 2011 at 9:58 pm

    I bought a "Hello World!" book for my 9 year old son. The book teached
    "programming for kids" and it does it in Python.

    I do not know any Python, but I am very comfortable with C++ and perl.
    I wrote a little over 100k lines of perl.

    I want to learn Python quickly to help him with his studies/fun.

    I would prefer a "no shit" book that quickly teaches a language to
    programmers.
    I moved to python after a heavy C++ background - I boosted myself to
    self-supporting status with OReilleys "Learning Python" on and off over
    the course of a weekend, skipping the parts that looked familiar.

    For some reason I didn't use the official python tutorial, though I have
    used it as a semi-reference on occasion since - it might be a good idea
    to start with that and see if it is efficient enough for you.

grouppython-list @
categoriespython
postedMar 4, '11 at 5:49p
activeMar 6, '11 at 9:58p