Wingware has released version 4.0 of Wing IDE, an integrated development
environment designed specifically for the Python programming language.
Wing IDE is a cross-platform Python IDE that provides a professional code
editor with vi, emacs, and other key bindings, auto-completion, call tips,
refactoring, a powerful graphical debugger, version control, unit testing,
search, and many other features.
**Changes in Version 4.0**
Version 4.0 adds the following new major features:
* Refactoring -- Rename and move symbols, and extract code to function
* Find Uses -- Find all points of use of a symbol
* Diff/Merge -- Graphical file and repository comparison and merge
* Django Support -- Debug Django templates, run Django unit tests, and more
* matplotlib Support -- Maintains live-updating plots in shell and debugger
* Simplified Licensing -- Includes all OSes and adds Support+Upgrades
Complete Change Log:
Details on Licensing Changes: http://wingware.com/news/2011-02-16
**About Wing IDE**
Wing IDE is an integrated development environment designed specifically for
the Python programming language. It provides powerful editing, testing, and
debugging features that help reduce development and debugging time, cut down
on coding errors, and make it easier to understand and navigate Python code.
Wing IDE can be used to develop Python code for web, GUI, and embedded
Wing IDE is available in three product levels: Wing IDE Professional is
the full-featured Python IDE, Wing IDE Personal offers a reduced feature
set at a low price, and Wing IDE 101 is a free simplified version designed
for teaching beginning programming courses with Python.
Version 4.0 of Wing IDE Professional includes the following major features:
* Professional quality code editor with vi, emacs, and other keyboard
* Code intelligence for Python: Auto-completion, call tips, find uses,
goto-definition, error indicators, refactoring, smart indent and
and source navigation
* Advanced multi-threaded debugger with graphical UI, command line
conditional breakpoints, data value tooltips over code, watch tool, and
externally launched and remote debugging
* Powerful search and replace options including keyboard driven and
UIs, multi-file, wild card, and regular expression search and replace
* Version control integration for Subversion, CVS, Bazaar, git,
* Integrated unit testing with unittest, nose, and doctest frameworks
* Django support: Debugs Django templates, provides project setup tools,
and runs Django unit tests
* Many other features including project manager, bookmarks, code snippets,
diff/merge tool, OS command integration, indentation manager, PyLint
integration, and perspectives
* Extremely configurable and may be extended with Python scripts
* Extensive product documentation and How-Tos for Django, matplotlib,
Plone, wxPython, PyQt, mod_wsgi, Autodesk Maya, and many other frameworks
Please refer to http://wingware.com/wingide/features for a detailed listing
of features by product level.
System requirements are Windows 2000 or later, OS X 10.3.9 or later
X11 Server), or a recent Linux system (either 32 or 64 bit). Wing IDE
Python versions 2.0.x through 3.2.x and Stackless Python.
For more information, see the http://wingware.com/
Wing IDE Professional and Wing IDE Personal are commercial software and
require a license to run. A free trial can be obtained directly from the
product when launched.
Wing IDE Pro -- Full-featured product:
Wing IDE Personal -- A simplified IDE:
Wing IDE 101 -- For teaching with Python:
**Purchasing and Upgrading**
Wing 4.0 requires an upgrade for Wing IDE 2.x and 3.x users at a cost of
1/2 the full product pricing.
Upgrade a license: https://wingware.com/store/upgrade
Purchase a new license: https://wingware.com/store/purchase
The Wingware Team
Wingware | Python IDE
Advancing Software Development