Dear Room,

I am using Windows XP (SP2) and a Python Version "Python 2.6.5
(r265:79096, Mar 19 2010, 21:48:26) [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)] on
win32".

I was looking to create exe files. Reviewing various posts here, I
felt py2exe may be the best thing I can opt for.

But for Python2.6 I found the following note in the py2exe tutorial:
"For Python 2.6, the DLL you need is called MSVCR90.dll. Py2exe is not
able to automatically include this DLL in your dist directory, so you
must provide it yourself.

To complicate things, there is more than one version of this DLL in
existance, each with the same filename. You need the same version that
the Python interpreter was compiled with, which is version
9.0.21022.8. Through the remainder of these instructions, hover your
mouse over the dll file (or the vcredist_x86.exe installer executable)
to confirm which version you've got. "

My questions are:
(i) From where I can download "MSVCR90.dll" ? Is there any trusted
site?
(ii) How to install the same?
(iii) Would py2exe work fine if I install it?
(iv) Is there any other exe creating program which does not have all
these problems?

As it is a room for expert python developers, I felt to ask you, if
any one can kindly find some time to resolve my query, I would be
honored.

Thanks in Advance,
Best Regards,
Subhabrata.

Search Discussions

  • Aspineux at Feb 12, 2011 at 8:29 pm
    Hi

    I'm releasing a .exe made with py2exe myself an got this problem too.
    99% of the time the required DLL is already installed by another
    application and you don't need to care about it.
    The 1% is about empty or fresh windows install (server most of the
    time)
    For them, I provide a link to the M$ vcredist and a warning in my
    download page asking them to install it them self.

    Take a look at my site for the vcredist link :
    http://www.magikmon.com/mksbackup/download.en.html

    Regards

    Alain
[...]

  • Joy99 at Feb 13, 2011 at 5:20 am

[...]

    Hi Alain,
    Thank you for your product information. But, with my problem
    installation is okay.
    The first two steps:
    "from distutils.core import setup
    import py2exe"
    but as I am giving
    "setup(console=['file.py'])"

    the setup file is not being generated. It is giving some error
    messages.
    Any suggestions?
    Best Regards,
    Subhabrata.
  • Aspineux at Feb 15, 2011 at 11:18 am

[...]

    What do you mean ? Do you expect the 3 lines above will generate a
    setup.py file ?
    You are wrong you must create your setup.py file yourself, and this
    file must contains
    the 3 lines above, and more a lot more ..
    Then you will run

    python setup.py py2exe

    to generate your .exe file

    It is giving some error
    messages.
    Any suggestions?
    Best Regards,
    Subhabrata.- Masquer le texte des messages pr?c?dents -

    - Afficher le texte des messages pr?c?dents -

grouppython-list @
categoriespython
postedFeb 12, '11 at 8:06p
activeFeb 15, '11 at 11:18a