I've recently started to program. Python is my first language, so I'm
a complete beginner. I've been trying to call python scripts from the
command line by entering this command into it:
python test.py
But it gives me this error message:
python test.py
File "<stdin>", line 1
python test.py
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

I know that test.py exists, and the script is correct (here is is
anyways):

a = 1
if a:
print 'Value of a is', a

I am using python 2.7.1 installed on Windows 7. This seems like
something that should be easy, so I'm sure I'm just missing a very
small problem. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Anderson

Search Discussions

  • Benjamin Kaplan at Feb 1, 2011 at 2:54 am

    I've recently started to program. Python is my first language, so I'm
    a complete beginner. I've been trying to call python scripts from the
    command line by entering this command into it:
    python test.py
    But it gives me this error message:
    python test.py
    ?File "<stdin>", line 1
    ? ?python test.py
    ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ^
    SyntaxError: invalid syntax

    I know that test.py exists, and the script is correct (here is is
    anyways):

    a = 1
    if a:
    ? ?print 'Value of a is', a

    I am using python 2.7.1 installed on Windows 7. This seems like
    something that should be easy, so I'm sure I'm just missing a very
    small problem. Any help is greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Anderson
    You're already in Python when you type that. If you want to run a
    script, you need to call Python from your normal shell, not from
    inside the Python interpreter.

    $ python
    Python 2.6.6 (r266:84292, Jan 10 2011, 20:14:15)
    python
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
    NameError: name 'python' is not defined
    exit()
    $ python test.py
    Value of a is 1
  • Nanderson at Feb 1, 2011 at 3:08 am

    wrote:
[...]

    Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.>>> python

    Traceback (most recent call last):
    ? File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
    NameError: name 'python' is not defined>>> exit()

    $ ?python test.py
    Value of a is 1

    Wow, thank you very much for your help. This worked absolutely great.
    I feel like a huge n00b after that though; it was just so obvious!
    Anyways, like I said before, thank you very much for your help.

    Anderson

grouppython-list @
categoriespython
postedFeb 1, '11 at 2:43a
activeFeb 1, '11 at 3:08a
websitepython.org

2 users in discussion

Nanderson: 2 posts Benjamin Kaplan: 1 post