I would like to have a python script that would download the most
recent svn of python, configure, make, install and cleanup after
itself. I am not replacing the python version I would be using to run
the script.
I was struggling to get this to work and I assume someone else has
done it better. Any pointers?

Thanks
Vincent

Search Discussions

  • Daniel Fetchinson at Jul 8, 2010 at 3:11 pm

    I would like to have a python script that would download the most
    recent svn of python, configure, make, install and cleanup after
    itself. I am not replacing the python version I would be using to run
    the script.
    I was struggling to get this to work and I assume someone else has
    done it better. Any pointers?
    Assuming you are on linux I recommend not using a python script for
    this but rather a shell script. From a python script you would most of
    the time be calling shell commands anyway. In a shell script you would
    do something like this:

    ################################
    #!/bin/bash

    svn checkout ........................
    cd whatever
    ./configure --whatever-options-you-like
    make
    # you probably want to run this as root
    make install
    # you probably don't want to be root anymore
    cd ..
    rm -rf whatever

    If you are on windows I assume a similar strategy is best.

    Cheers,
    Daniel

  • Vincent Davis at Jul 8, 2010 at 3:54 pm

[...]

    Ok I'll take your advice and just use a shell script. I am on osx by the way.

    Thanks
    Vincent