?
We are using a legacy product which is using 1.5.1 version of Python and we have seen frequent core dumps offlate which is as below
?
#0? 0x2b79b0 in list_dealloc (op=0x414b11d0) at listobject.c:220
#1? 0x283c48 in dict_dealloc (mp=0x415b8c18) at dictobject.c:491
#2? 0x2b4760 in frame_dealloc (f=0x4042ea50) at frameobject.c:116
#3? 0x28b938 in eval_code2 (co=0x404a4d28, globals=0x4049bec8, locals=0x0, args=0x404da5dc, argcount=1, kws=0x0, kwcount=0, defs=0x0, defcount=0, owner=0x0)
??? at ceval.c:1873
#4? 0x28d690 in call_function (func=0x41497958, arg=0x404da5d0, kw=0x0) at ceval.c:2472
?
Can someone confirm if this is a problem at Python or in the source code, I know that this version is quite old and needs upgarde, but since this in use for long i would need evidence to prove that this is a problem at Python not in the product so that we can upgrade to the latest version.
?
?listobject.c
?for (i = 0; i < op->ob_size; i++) {
??????? Py_XDECREF(op->ob_item[i]);?? //Line 220
?}

Can some one help me out in this, while i belive that the pointer where the derefernece is happening might have got corrupted but this happens rarely and the code is a provisioning script with a command that is successful most times.
?
Regards
Sunil

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Search Discussions

  • Thomas Jollans at Jun 30, 2010 at 9:56 am

    #0 0x2b79b0 in list_dealloc (op=0x414b11d0) at listobject.c:220
    #1 0x283c48 in dict_dealloc (mp=0x415b8c18) at dictobject.c:491
    #2 0x2b4760 in frame_dealloc (f=0x4042ea50) at frameobject.c:116
    #3 0x28b938 in eval_code2 (co=0x404a4d28, globals=0x4049bec8,
    locals=0x0, args=0x404da5dc, argcount=1, kws=0x0, kwcount=0, defs=0x0,
    defcount=0, owner=0x0)
    at ceval.c:1873
    #4 0x28d690 in call_function (func=0x41497958, arg=0x404da5d0, kw=0x0)
    at ceval.c:2472

    }

    Can some one help me out in this, while i belive that the pointer where
    the derefernece is happening might have got corrupted but this happens
    rarely and the code is a provisioning script with a command that is
    successful most times.
    I can't really help much as I've never used Python versions that old.
    Some thoughts:

    * are you using C extension modules? If you are, double-check their
    increfs and decrefs.
    * if you're using pure-Python code, the bug is in Python. Python scripts
    have no access to memory management and refcounting details (or do
    they?) and thus can't currupt anything at that level.
    * see http://www.python.org/download/releases/1.6.1/ :
    --> What's new in release 1.6.1?
    - A core dump in the C API function PyList_Reverse() has been fixed.

    possibly relevant?

    -- Thomas

grouppython-list @
categoriespython