I hope this is the right place to ask this, and appologise if it's
not. I'm trying to install 2.6.5 in Win98 se final. It says "a
required dll could not be run". Do I have to upgrade my whole OS just
to install this, or is there a fix I can apply to 98 to make it work.
The installer doesn't say what dll is missing, just that it is.

Thanks in advance.
L8r
Spyder

Search Discussions

  • Christian Heimes at Jun 4, 2010 at 12:50 pm

    I hope this is the right place to ask this, and appologise if it's
    not. I'm trying to install 2.6.5 in Win98 se final. It says "a
    required dll could not be run". Do I have to upgrade my whole OS just
    to install this, or is there a fix I can apply to 98 to make it work.
    The installer doesn't say what dll is missing, just that it is.
    Python 2.6 is not supported on Windows 98 and earlier. You need at least
    Windows 2000 with a recent service pack.

    Christian
  • Spyder42 at Jun 4, 2010 at 1:08 pm

    Python 2.6 is not supported on Windows 98 and earlier. You need at least
    Windows 2000 with a recent service pack.

    Christian
    So your response is either, you don't know if there is a fix, or 'No
    way in h377.' You couldn't figure out by my post that I already knew
    that?
  • Christian Heimes at Jun 4, 2010 at 1:32 pm

    So your response is either, you don't know if there is a fix, or 'No
    way in h377.' You couldn't figure out by my post that I already knew
    that?
    Let me paraphrase my answer:

    You can't run Python 2.6 on Windows 98 because we have dropped support
    for any Windows older than Windows 2000 SP4. It's documented at
    http://docs.python.org/whatsnew/2.6.html#port-specific-changes-windows ,
    too.

    Christian
  • Spyder42 at Jun 4, 2010 at 1:53 pm

    Let me paraphrase my answer:

    You can't run Python 2.6 on Windows 98 because we have dropped support
    for any Windows older than Windows 2000 SP4. It's documented at
    http://docs.python.org/whatsnew/2.6.html#port-specific-changes-windows ,
    too.

    Christian
    Yes, I get that. So your answer is... You have no idea as to weather
    there is a workaround, or a fix, or patch or anything that would help.
    right? I don't consider buying an OS to be a valid workaround.

    Thanks
    Spyder
  • Nn at Jun 4, 2010 at 2:45 pm

    Let me paraphrase my answer:
    You can't run Python 2.6 on Windows 98 because we have dropped support
    for any Windows older than Windows 2000 SP4. It's documented at
    http://docs.python.org/whatsnew/2.6.html#port-specific-changes-windows,
    too.
    Christian
    Yes, I get that. So your answer is... You have no idea as to weather
    there is a workaround, or a fix, or patch or anything that would help.
    right? I don't consider buying an OS to be a valid workaround.

    ? ? ? ? Thanks
    ? ? ? ? Spyder
    Correct. If you use Windows 98, you are stuck at the 2.5 series of
    Python. As far as I know (Christian might correct me) there is no fix
    or patch to allow otherwise.

    The usual volunteers that build the Windows version of Python don't
    care about the extra work of maintaining Windows 98 support anymore
    and nobody else has stepped forward to do it or to pay somebody to do
    so.
  • Chris W at Jun 4, 2010 at 2:51 pm

    Let me paraphrase my answer:
    You can't run Python 2.6 on Windows 98 because we have dropped support
    for any Windows older than Windows 2000 SP4. It's documented at
    http://docs.python.org/whatsnew/2.6.html#port-specific-changes-windows,
    too.
    Christian
    Yes, I get that. So your answer is... You have no idea as to weather
    there is a workaround, or a fix, or patch or anything that would help.
    right? I don't consider buying an OS to be a valid workaround.

    ? ? ? ? Thanks
    ? ? ? ? Spyder
    Then the workaround is to use an older version of Python, or use a
    modern version of a free OS.
  • Terry Reedy at Jun 4, 2010 at 6:03 pm

    On Fri, 04 Jun 2010 14:50:28 +0200, Christian Heimes
    Python 2.6 is not supported on Windows 98 and earlier. You need at least
    Windows 2000 with a recent service pack.

    Christian
    So your response is either, you don't know if there is a fix, or 'No
    way in h377.' You couldn't figure out by my post that I already knew
    that?
    Get off your high horse. Dumping on volunteer helpers is a good way to
    drive them away.

    It was not obvious, without closely reading your original post, and even
    then it is not clear, that you *knew* than 2.6 was not supported on
    Win98. You could have asked 'I know 2.6+ is not officially supported in
    win98. Does anyone know a workaround other than upgrading windows or
    sticking with 2.5?". *That* would have been clear.

    Terry Jan Reedy
  • Spyder42 at Jun 4, 2010 at 10:47 pm

    On Fri, 04 Jun 2010 14:50:28 +0200, Christian Heimes
    Python 2.6 is not supported on Windows 98 and earlier. You need at least
    Windows 2000 with a recent service pack.

    Christian
    So your response is either, you don't know if there is a fix, or 'No
    way in h377.' You couldn't figure out by my post that I already knew
    that?
    Get off your high horse. Dumping on volunteer helpers is a good way to
    drive them away.

    It was not obvious, without closely reading your original post, and even
    then it is not clear, that you *knew* than 2.6 was not supported on
    Win98. You could have asked 'I know 2.6+ is not officially supported in
    win98. Does anyone know a workaround other than upgrading windows or
    sticking with 2.5?". *That* would have been clear.

    Terry Jan Reedy
    I'm sorry, but if I asked where the nearest gas station was, I
    wouldn't expect someone to answer, "You can't get there because your
    out of gas."

    I had a specific question and I got a non-specific non-answer.
    If they didn't know, they should not have answered.
    It was not obvious, without closely reading your original post...
    So it WAS obvious to anyone who was PAYING ATTENTION?
    Life is not a dress rehersal. If you don't get it right, things like
    the BP's oil spill, Chernobyl, and 3 mile island happen. Perhaps I'm
    being extreme, but computer programs underly our entire civilization
    today. Computers dump stock, and Billions are lost, needlessly
    affecting everyones life. Trains crash, boats sink, and psychos like
    me go off the deep end, because no-one is paying attention.

    L8r
    Spyder
  • Gabriel Genellina at Jun 5, 2010 at 8:47 am

    On Fri, 04 Jun 2010 14:50:28 +0200, Christian Heimes
    Python 2.6 is not supported on Windows 98 and earlier. You need at least
    Windows 2000 with a recent service pack.
    So your response is either, you don't know if there is a fix, or 'No
    way in h377.' You couldn't figure out by my post that I already knew
    that?
    It was not obvious, without closely reading your original post, and even
    then it is not clear, that you *knew* than 2.6 was not supported on
    Win98. You could have asked 'I know 2.6+ is not officially supported in
    win98. Does anyone know a workaround other than upgrading windows or
    sticking with 2.5?". *That* would have been clear.
    I had a specific question and I got a non-specific non-answer.
    If they didn't know, they should not have answered.
    You didn't state your question as clearly as you appear to think.
    It was not obvious, without closely reading your original post...
    So it WAS obvious to anyone who was PAYING ATTENTION?
    It is not obvious to me at least, even after closely reading your
    post.
    All I can deduce from it is that you assumed you would have a better
    chance upgrading your OS, not that you *knew* your current OS was
    officially unsupported.
    Christian Heimes gave you the right answer, even if it was not the
    answer you expected.

    --
    Gabriel Genellina
  • Jean-Michel Pichavant at Jun 7, 2010 at 12:15 pm

    Spyder42 wrote:
[...]

    I think Terry just wanted to be kind to you by not saying you're
    completely wrong. Thing is, it was not obvious, enven for those who paid
    attention.
    Life is not a dress rehersal. If you don't get it right, things like
    the BP's oil spill, Chernobyl, and 3 mile island happen. Perhaps I'm
    being extreme, but computer programs underly our entire civilization
    today. Computers dump stock, and Billions are lost, needlessly
    affecting everyones life. Trains crash, boats sink, and psychos like
    me go off the deep end, because no-one is paying attention.

    L8r
    Spyder
    Funny :) You almost got a Godwin point !

    JM
  • Terry Reedy at Jun 7, 2010 at 6:50 pm