I am trying to create a bash-style auto completion in a simple
command-line and script-based program i created using cmd.
I saw http://docs.python.org/library/rlcompleter.html, which I'm
thinking is the way to go for my program to intercept the tab key.
Would anyone have thoughts on this?

I wish cmd or cmd2 had this functionality built-in.

Thanks in advance.

Search Discussions

  • Member thudfoo at May 22, 2010 at 7:57 pm

    I am trying to create a bash-style auto completion in a simple
    command-line and script-based program i created using cmd.
    I saw http://docs.python.org/library/rlcompleter.html, which I'm
    thinking is the way to go for my program to intercept the tab key.
    Would anyone have thoughts on this?

    I wish cmd or cmd2 had this functionality built-in.
    It is built in. Check the cmd documentation for complete_* method of Cmd class.

    Following is an example of it use for a command called "open":

    def complete_open(self, text, line, begidx, endidx):
    asmfiles = glob('%s/*.asm' % ASMDIR)
    matches = []
    for path in asmfiles:
    fname = os.path.basename(path)