Hello!

I'm trying to install PIL module on MacOS X Leopard with python 2.6.
Everything seemed to be fine - now I have PIL egg package in "site-
packages" directory, but when I'm trying "import PIL", I get an error
"ImportError: No module named PIL".

All other modules such as SQL Alchemy work fine. Their EGGs reside in
a same directory as a resulting PIL package.

I've tried to install either via easy_install and manually, results
are the same. PYTHONPATH environment variable is set to a correct
directory. python command "import _imaging" returns no error.

What I'm doing wrong?

Search Discussions

  • Ned Deily at Mar 11, 2010 at 12:34 am
    In article
    <94070db2-91f0-47a8-a259-36378aab95ea at o3g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
    phantasm wrote:
    I'm trying to install PIL module on MacOS X Leopard with python 2.6.
    Everything seemed to be fine - now I have PIL egg package in "site-
    packages" directory, but when I'm trying "import PIL", I get an error
    "ImportError: No module named PIL".

    All other modules such as SQL Alchemy work fine. Their EGGs reside in
    a same directory as a resulting PIL package.

    I've tried to install either via easy_install and manually, results
    are the same. PYTHONPATH environment variable is set to a correct
    directory. python command "import _imaging" returns no error.

    What I'm doing wrong?
    Hard to say without more information but it does seem odd that _imaging
    can be imported. One thing to try:

    $ python2.6
    Python 2.6.4 (r264:75706, Oct 28 2009, 20:34:51)
    import _imaging
    _imaging.__file__
    '/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-pac
    kages/PIL/_imaging.so'
    # or something like that

    Make sure the file is located within the expected PIL directory. Also
    make sure there aren't any file permission problems on any of the PIL
    directories and files. I'm assuming PIL was installed as an unzipped
    egg. And double-check the contents of any .pth files.

    --
    Ned Deily,
    nad at acm.org
  • Phantasm at Mar 11, 2010 at 12:43 am
    Thank you for your reply, Ned, but I just tried to install it again
    and found out that I didn't finally run "python setup.py install"
    after building PIL manually. It solved the problem.

grouppython-list @
categoriespython
postedMar 11, '10 at 12:05a
activeMar 11, '10 at 12:43a