Hello everyone,

I'm thinking about writing plugin-style architecture for (a new)
web-based app (with SQLAlchemy as backend).

Say, there's core web app and someone decides to write plugin Accounting
for this web app that would work with SQA objects of the core app or
other plugins.

I found this:

http://effbot.org/zone/metaclass-plugins.htm

(Although I'm not entirely sure this is the best approach for the web app)

How would you approach designing such architecture using features
available in Python (and some major web framework, like Pylons or Django)?

Regards,
mk

Search Discussions

  • Daniel Fetchinson at Feb 15, 2010 at 6:53 pm

    I'm thinking about writing plugin-style architecture for (a new)
    web-based app (with SQLAlchemy as backend).

    Say, there's core web app and someone decides to write plugin Accounting
    for this web app that would work with SQA objects of the core app or
    other plugins.

    I found this:

    http://effbot.org/zone/metaclass-plugins.htm

    (Although I'm not entirely sure this is the best approach for the web app)

    How would you approach designing such architecture using features
    available in Python (and some major web framework, like Pylons or Django)?
    Major web frameworks like django, turbogears (thicker ones), pylons,
    cherrypy (thinner ones) include all the functionality for doing this
    sort of thing out of the box. If I were you I would go ahead and use
    one of these frameworks and only start thinking about designing
    something new if I hit a wall. Chances are you won't.

    Cheers,
    Daniel

  • Florian Ludwig at Feb 15, 2010 at 10:25 pm
    Hi mk,