I have a CGI written in Python to process a form a read/write a text file (a
minimal database). It runs in a Linux box with and it looks all the encoding
is UTF8. Now I have two questions:

- When I have:

ttext='??????????'

I get a warning sendinme to this page

http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0263.html

Should I understand that PEP has been already implemented and follow it?

- Related to the former one: the CGI sends an email with stress marks and
other characters. I can read it with out any problem in my Kmail client
because it detects the encoding. But I saw that most of the users are gonna
read it in a webmail service where the characters (UTF8) are not recognized.
Can I force a encoding when I send an email? kind of:

mail(adress,'My title', mytext.encode'iso9865')

Thanks in advance.
--
Lord Eldritch

Search Discussions

  • Chris Rebert at Dec 20, 2009 at 10:54 am

    Should I understand that PEP has been already implemented and follow it?
    Yes.

    Cheers,
    Chris
  • Gabriel Genellina at Dec 21, 2009 at 7:35 am
    En Sun, 20 Dec 2009 07:46:02 -0300, Lord Eldritch
    <lord_eldritch at yahoo.co.uk> escribi?:
    I have a CGI written in Python to process a form a read/write a text
    file (a
    minimal database). It runs in a Linux box with and it looks all the
    encoding is UTF8. [...]
    - Related to the former one: the CGI sends an email with stress marks and
    other characters. I can read it with out any problem in my Kmail client
    because it detects the encoding. But I saw that most of the users are
    gonna
    read it in a webmail service where the characters (UTF8) are not
    recognized.
    Can I force a encoding when I send an email? kind of:

    mail(adress,'My title', mytext.encode'iso9865')
    Yes, you can, and you should. Make sure the Content-Type (and probably
    Content-Transfer-Encoding too) header fields are correct. How to set them,
    depends on how you build the email to be sent (and the Python version in
    use).

    --
    Gabriel Genellina

grouppython-list @