Bash is easy to use on manipulating files and directories (like change
name or create links, etc) and on calling external programs. For
simple functions, bash along is enough. However, bash does not support
the complex functions. Python has a richer library that could provide
support for complex functions (such compute the relative path between
two paths).

I'm wondering for a task that can not be done with bash along whether
it would be better to do in pure python or with a mix of both python
and bash. What I care is mostly coding speed and a little bit
maintainability (but not much). Can somebody provide some experience
on when to combine python and bash and when to use pure python?

Search Discussions

  • Sam Denton at Oct 14, 2009 at 3:01 am

    Bash is easy to use on manipulating files and directories (like change
    name or create links, etc) and on calling external programs. For
    simple functions, bash along is enough. However, bash does not support
    the complex functions. Python has a richer library that could provide
    support for complex functions (such compute the relative path between
    two paths).

    I'm wondering for a task that can not be done with bash along whether
    it would be better to do in pure python or with a mix of both python
    and bash. What I care is mostly coding speed and a little bit
    maintainability (but not much). Can somebody provide some experience
    on when to combine python and bash and when to use pure python?
    Scripting languages try to optimize gluing disparate programs together
    to accomplish a task; bash excels at this. Programing languages try
    to optimize finding the solution to a problem; Python excels at this.

    Generally, I try to stick to one language per problem, be it bash, C+
    +, Java, Perl or Python. Bash scripts translate easily into the
    others, so you don't lose much time if you decide you started with the
    wrong language.

    Countering that, I also maintain a "toolbox" of programs that I can
    call upon when needed. In those cases, I don't hesitate to call a
    program that I've written in any language from a bash script.

    BTW, I actually prefer ksh to bash, but YMMV.
  • TerryP at Oct 14, 2009 at 4:18 am