I would like to import Matlab/Octave files of the .m sort into Python
that look like this.

# comment
y=[1,2,3,4,5\
,6,7,8,9];
# comment

The only problem is I have to change the extensions from .m to .py. Is
there a way to get python to import files that don't end in .py?

Thank you

Search Discussions

  • Cesar Koers at Sep 25, 2009 at 3:35 pm

    Wanderer wrote:
    I would like to import Matlab/Octave files of the .m sort into Python
    that look like this.

    # comment
    y=[1,2,3,4,5\
    ,6,7,8,9];
    # comment

    The only problem is I have to change the extensions from .m to .py. Is
    there a way to get python to import files that don't end in .py?

    Thank you
    Hi,

    (untested:) read the .m file as a string, then evaluate the string (see
    eval()) in appropriate context?

    success!

    bye
  • Ishwor Gurung at Sep 25, 2009 at 4:15 pm
    Wanderer
    Hi
    Refer to http://docs.python.org/tutorial/modules.html#the-module-search-path.

    Particularly-
    "
    When a module named spam is imported, the interpreter searches for a
    file named spam.py in the current directory, and then in the list of
    directories specified by the environment variable PYTHONPATH. This has
    the same syntax as the shell variable PATH, that is, a list of
    directory names. When PYTHONPATH is not set, or when the file is not
    found there, the search continues in an installation-dependent default
    path; on Unix, this is usually .:/usr/local/lib/python.
    "

    Having said that, please see below.
    I would like to import Matlab/Octave files of the .m sort into Python
    that look like this.

    # comment
    y=[1,2,3,4,5\
    ,6,7,8,9];
    # comment

    The only problem is I have to change the extensions from .m to .py. Is
    there a way to get python to import files that don't end in .py?
    You can try this for single file. Pretty trivial-
    $ cat foo.m
    y=[1,2,3]
    $ export PYTHONSTARTUP=foo.m
    $ python
    Python 2.6.1 (r261:826, Sep 17 2009, 01:16:52)
    [GCC 4.3.2] on linux2
    [Unladen Swallow 2009Q3]
    dir()
    ['__builtins__', '__doc__', '__name__', '__package__', 'y']
    [1, 2, 3]

    Another way:
    f_ = open('foo.m','r');
    j = f_.xreadlines()
    for i in j.xreadlines():
    ... print i
    y=[1,2,3]

    Another way:
    import os;
    matlab_files=[];
    for root, dirs, files in os.walk('.'):
    ... for i in files:
    ... if i.endswith(".m"):
    ... matlab_files.append(i);
    matlab_files
    ['foo.m', 'bar.m']
    for x in matlab_files:
    ... execfile(x);
    dir()
    ['__builtins__', '__doc__', '__name__', 'dirs', 'files', 'i',
    'matlab_files', 'os', 'root', 'x', 'y', 'z']
    'b.m'
    [1, 2, 3]
    [3, 2, 1]

    $ cat foo.m
    y=[1,2,3]
    $ cat bar.m
    z=[3,2,1]

    These sort of task are pretty trivial to do. You should take some time
    to read through the documentation.. and oh don't be such a wanderer
    loosing sight of such good resource such as http://docs.python.org :-)
    Ishwor Gurung
  • Wanderer at Sep 25, 2009 at 5:16 pm

[...]

    Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.>>> dir()

    ['__builtins__', '__doc__', '__name__', '__package__', 'y']>>> y

    [1, 2, 3]

    Another way:>>> f_ = open('foo.m','r');
    j = f_.xreadlines()
    for i in j.xreadlines():
    ... ? ? print i
    y=[1,2,3]

    Another way:>>> import os;
    matlab_files=[];
    for root, dirs, files in os.walk('.'):
    ... ? ? for i in files:
    ... ? ? ? ? ? ? if i.endswith(".m"):
    ... ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? matlab_files.append(i);
    ...>>> matlab_files
    ['foo.m', 'bar.m']
    for x in matlab_files:
    ... ? ? execfile(x);>>> dir()

    ['__builtins__', '__doc__', '__name__', 'dirs', 'files', 'i',
    'matlab_files', 'os', 'root', 'x', 'y', 'z']>>> x
    'b.m'
    [1, 2, 3]
    [3, 2, 1]

    $ cat foo.m
    y=[1,2,3]
    $ cat bar.m
    z=[3,2,1]

    These sort of task are pretty trivial to do. You should take some time
    to read through the documentation.. and oh don't be such a wanderer
    loosing sight of such good resource such ashttp://docs.python.org:-)
    Ishwor Gurung
    execfile(x) does what I'm looking for.

    Thanks
  • Andrew Svetlov at Sep 25, 2009 at 6:05 pm