I can't run Firefox and Thunderbird without getting these upgrade
ordering windows. I don't touch them, because I have reason to suspect
that they are some (Russian) virus that hijacks my traffic. Occasionally
one of these window pops up the very moment I hit a key and next a
confirmation message appears "reassuring" me that the upgrade will be
installed the next time I start. I meant to ask Mozilla about their
upgrade policy and facilities but for all the googling I do I can't find
a contact address, nor an active user group. Hints will be greatly
appreciated. Thanks!

Frederic

Search Discussions

  • News123 at Jun 3, 2009 at 9:55 pm

    Anthra Norell wrote:
    I can't run Firefox and Thunderbird without getting these upgrade
    ordering windows. I don't touch them, because I have reason to suspect
    that they are some (Russian) virus that hijacks my traffic. Occasionally
    one of these window pops up the very moment I hit a key and next a
    confirmation message appears "reassuring" me that the upgrade will be
    installed the next time I start. I meant to ask Mozilla about their
    upgrade policy and facilities but for all the googling I do I can't find
    a contact address, nor an active user group. Hints will be greatly
    appreciated. Thanks!

    Frederic
    I don't know a Mozilla news group,
    but in Settings Advanced -> Settings -> Updates
    you can choose if updats will be installed automatically or if you want
    to be asked.

    Additionally you could check your SW version in the Help->About Menu and
    then go to the Firefox / Thunderbird web site and look at which version
    they are?

    So you know at least whether there is a pending update
  • Terry Reedy at Jun 3, 2009 at 11:31 pm

    News123 wrote:
    Anthra Norell wrote:
    I can't run Firefox and Thunderbird without getting these upgrade
    ordering windows. I don't touch them, because I have reason to suspect
    that they are some (Russian) virus that hijacks my traffic. Occasionally
    one of these window pops up the very moment I hit a key and next a
    confirmation message appears "reassuring" me that the upgrade will be
    installed the next time I start. I meant to ask Mozilla about their
    upgrade policy and facilities but for all the googling I do I can't find
    a contact address, nor an active user group. Hints will be greatly
    appreciated. Thanks!

    Frederic
    I don't know a Mozilla news group,
    but in Settings Advanced -> Settings -> Updates
    you can choose if updats will be installed automatically or if you want
    to be asked.
    In my copies of Firefox and Thunderbird:
    Tools - Options - Advanced - Update

    I have 'ask me' checked because auto updates do not seem to work in
    non-admin accounts. So at my convenience, I switch to admin, go to Help
    - Check for Updates, and when it finds it, click install.
    Additionally you could check your SW version in the Help->About Menu and
    then go to the Firefox / Thunderbird web site and look at which version
    they are?

    So you know at least whether there is a pending update
  • Anthra Norell at Jun 4, 2009 at 7:13 am

    Terry Reedy wrote:
    News123 wrote:
    Anthra Norell wrote:
[...]

    Thank you all! Great advice!
    Frederic
  • Matt Nordhoff at Jun 4, 2009 at 3:52 am

    Anthra Norell wrote:
    I can't run Firefox and Thunderbird without getting these upgrade
    ordering windows. I don't touch them, because I have reason to suspect
    that they are some (Russian) virus that hijacks my traffic. Occasionally
    one of these window pops up the very moment I hit a key and next a
    confirmation message appears "reassuring" me that the upgrade will be
    installed the next time I start. I meant to ask Mozilla about their
    upgrade policy and facilities but for all the googling I do I can't find
    a contact address, nor an active user group. Hints will be greatly
    appreciated. Thanks!

    Frederic
    Mozilla software updates automatically by default, so that Joe User
    won't run some out-of-date, insecure version.

    Mozilla's newsgroups are available on <news://news.mozilla.org/>, or you
    can subscribe to the mailing list gateways at
    <https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo>.

grouppython-list @
categoriespython
postedJun 3, '09 at 10:16a