Hi all,

I'm proud to announce the release of lxml 2.2 final.

http://codespeak.net/lxml/
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/lxml/2.2

Changelog:
http://codespeak.net/lxml/changes-2.2.html

What is lxml?
==============

lxml is the most feature-rich and easy-to-use library for working with XML
and HTML in the Python language. It's also amongst the fastest and most
memory friendly XML tree libraries for Python.

lxml is a pythonic, mature binding for the libxml2 and libxslt libraries
that provides safe and convenient access to these libraries using the
ElementTree API. It extends the ElementTree API significantly to offer
support for XPath, RelaxNG, XML Schema, XSLT, C14N and much more.

This release
=============

This is a major new, stable and mature release that takes over the stable
2.x release series. All previous 2.x releases are now officially out of
maintenance.

It includes a large number of bug fixes and improvements that make lxml 2.2
a lot more robust than the previous 2.1 and older releases. It is therefore
generally worth upgrading (and it should not be too hard to do that).

This release was built with Cython 0.11 final and supports Python 2.3
through 3.1 alpha1.

Have fun,
Stefan

Search Discussions

  • Python at Mar 21, 2009 at 8:40 pm
    Stefan,

    Is it possible to use the same install of lxml across multiple versions
    of Python, eg. I have 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, and 3.0 installed on my workstation
    - can I use a single copy of lmxl for 4 versions of Python?

    My understanding is that we can replace our use of elmentree and
    htmlparser with lxml.

    Congrats on your latest release!

    Thank you,
    Malcolm
  • Stefan Behnel at Mar 21, 2009 at 9:11 pm

    python at bdurham.com wrote:
    Is it possible to use the same install of lxml across multiple versions
    of Python, eg. I have 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, and 3.0 installed on my workstation
    - can I use a single copy of lmxl for 4 versions of Python?
    It would be interesting to have some more information about your intentions
    here.

    In general, the answer is no. It's a C extension which gets compiled
    against the C-API of Python. You will quickly run into unresolved symbols
    when you try using a binary module that was compiled against one Python
    version in a different Python version.

    However, it's built using exactly the same sources on all platforms, and
    you only need to keep separate copies of the binary modules. The rest are
    Python modules that are not platform specific. Also, the dependencies
    (libxml2 and libxslt) do not depend on Python but only on the operating system.

    My understanding is that we can replace our use of elmentree and
    htmlparser with lxml.
    Yes, although the API of HTMLParser is different from lxml's own HTML
    parser and tree interface (which is basically trivial).

    Congrats on your latest release!
    Thanks!

    Stefan
  • Francesco Guerrieri at Mar 22, 2009 at 9:44 am

    I'm proud to announce the release of lxml 2.2 final.

    http://codespeak.net/lxml/
    http://pypi.python.org/pypi/lxml/2.2

    Changelog:
    http://codespeak.net/lxml/changes-2.2.html
    Great news! I have relied on lxml in many occasions and it has always been
    excellent :-)

    Francesco