FAQ
I am trying to build package "pyprocessing" for python 2.5

I am using sun machine with Solaris 5.8

drokade at himalaya:~/modules_python/processing-0.52
(Deepak:)uname -a
SunOS himalaya 5.8 Generic_117350-35 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire

While building the package I get below warnings.

(Deepak:)python setup.py build
Macros:
HAVE_FD_TRANSFER = 1
HAVE_SEM_OPEN = 1
HAVE_SEM_TIMEDWAIT = 1

Libraries:
['rt']

running build
running build_py
running build_ext
building 'processing._processing' extension
gcc -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fPIC
-DHAVE_SEM_OPEN=1 -DHAVE_FD_TRANSFER=1 -DHAVE_SEM_TIMEDWAIT=1
-I/home/drokade/ess_temp/56_release/ess/3rdparty/python/solaris/include/python2.5
-c src/processing.c -o build/temp.solaris-2.8-sun4u-2.5/src/processing.o
src/processing.c: In function `processing_sendfd':
*src/processing.c:158: warning: implicit declaration of function
`CMSG_SPACE'
src/processing.c:175: warning: implicit declaration of function `CMSG_LEN'
*gcc -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fPIC
-DHAVE_SEM_OPEN=1 -DHAVE_FD_TRANSFER=1 -DHAVE_SEM_TIMEDWAIT=1
-I/home/drokade/ess_temp/56_release/ess/3rdparty/python/solaris/include/python2.5
-c src/socket_connection.c -o
build/temp.solaris-2.8-sun4u-2.5/src/socket_connection.o
gcc -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fPIC
-DHAVE_SEM_OPEN=1 -DHAVE_FD_TRANSFER=1 -DHAVE_SEM_TIMEDWAIT=1
-I/home/drokade/ess_temp/56_release/ess/3rdparty/python/solaris/include/python2.5
-c src/semaphore.c -o build/temp.solaris-2.8-sun4u-2.5/src/semaphore.o
src/semaphore.c: In function `SemLock_acquire':
*src/semaphore.c:296: warning: implicit declaration of function
`sem_timedwait'
src/semaphore.c: In function `SemLock_new':
src/semaphore.c:416: warning: int format, pid_t arg (arg 4)
*gcc -shared build/temp.solaris-2.8-sun4u-2.5/src/processing.o
build/temp.solaris-2.8-sun4u-2.5/src/socket_connection.o
build/temp.solaris-2.8-sun4u-2.5/src/semaphore.o -lrt -o
build/lib.solaris-2.8-sun4u-2.5/processing/_processing.so

Though shared libraries were created, after I installed it in my python
(2.5.1) I get below message while importing module 'processing"

drokade at himalaya:~/modules_python/processing-0.52
(Deepak:)python
Python 2.5.1 (r251:54863, Nov 27 2007, 18:27:50)
[GCC 3.4.6] on sunos5
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
import processing
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
File
"/home/drokade/ess_temp/56_release/ess/3rdparty/python/solaris/lib/python2.5/site-packages/processing/__init__.py",
line 62, in <module>
import _processing
ImportError: ld.so.1: python2.5: fatal: relocation error: file
/home/drokade/ess_temp/56_release/ess/3rdparty/python/solaris/lib/python2.5/site-packages/processing/_processing.so:
symbol CMSG_SPACE: referenced symbol not found
^D

How can I get rid of this ?
Is this package not available for sun solaris ?


--
Thanx & Regards,
Deepak Rokade
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/attachments/20090320/40f99784/attachment.htm>

Search Discussions

  • Christian Heimes at Mar 20, 2009 at 1:23 pm

    Deepak Rokade wrote:
    How can I get rid of this ?
    Is this package not available for sun solaris ?
    Apparently Solaris doesn't support sem_timedwait(). You have to disable
    the feature in setup.py::

    HAVE_SEM_TIMEDWAIT=0

    Why are you using pyprocessing instead of multiprocessing?

    Christian
  • Deepak Rokade at Mar 20, 2009 at 1:46 pm
    This did not wok.
    I continued to get those warning and Import Error.

    I wanr through documentation of multiprocessing and it looks almost similar
    to processing module.
    Any advantages of multiprocessing module ?


    On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 6:53 PM, Christian Heimes wrote:

    Deepak Rokade wrote:
    How can I get rid of this ?
    Is this package not available for sun solaris ?
    Apparently Solaris doesn't support sem_timedwait(). You have to disable
    the feature in setup.py::

    HAVE_SEM_TIMEDWAIT=0

    Why are you using pyprocessing instead of multiprocessing?

    Christian

    --
    http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/python-list


    --
    Thanx & Regards,
    Deepak Rokade

    Do what u Enjoy &
    Enjoy what u Do...........
    -------------- next part --------------
    An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
    URL: <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/attachments/20090320/66ebe684/attachment-0001.htm>
  • Christian Heimes at Mar 20, 2009 at 1:58 pm

    Deepak Rokade wrote:
    This did not wok.
    I continued to get those warning and Import Error.

    I wanr through documentation of multiprocessing and it looks almost similar
    to processing module.
    Any advantages of multiprocessing module ?
    You may have to disable more features and recompile everything until it
    works. Have you removed the entire build directory before you recompiled
    the package again?

    rm -r build && python2.5 setup.py build


    The CMSG_* functions are used by the fd transer feature. Maybe solaris
    doesn't support it, too? Please HAVE_FD_TRANSFER=0 and try it again.

    pyprocessing was added to Python 2.6 and 3.0 under the new name
    multiprocessing. The multiprocessing package contains several fixes and
    minor API changes. I'm maintaining a backport to Python 2.4 and 2.5.

    multiprocessing is a back port of the Python 2.6/3.0
    multiprocessing package. The multiprocessing package itself
    is a renamed and updated version of R Oudkerk's pyprocessing
    package.

    Christian
  • Deepak Rokade at Mar 20, 2009 at 2:15 pm
    Great ! It worked.
    I set HAVE_FD_TRANSFER = 0 and now that is working.
    I guess this feature should be for distributing task to remote machines...
    I do not require it as of now but any idea when this will be supported in
    multiprocessing ?
    Is this code not considered to support sun Solaris environment.


    On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 7:28 PM, Christian Heimes wrote:

    Deepak Rokade wrote:
    This did not wok.
    I continued to get those warning and Import Error.

    I wanr through documentation of multiprocessing and it looks almost similar
    to processing module.
    Any advantages of multiprocessing module ?
    You may have to disable more features and recompile everything until it
    works. Have you removed the entire build directory before you recompiled
    the package again?

    rm -r build && python2.5 setup.py build


    The CMSG_* functions are used by the fd transer feature. Maybe solaris
    doesn't support it, too? Please HAVE_FD_TRANSFER=0 and try it again.

    pyprocessing was added to Python 2.6 and 3.0 under the new name
    multiprocessing. The multiprocessing package contains several fixes and
    minor API changes. I'm maintaining a backport to Python 2.4 and 2.5.

    multiprocessing is a back port of the Python 2.6/3.0
    multiprocessing package. The multiprocessing package itself
    is a renamed and updated version of R Oudkerk's pyprocessing
    package.

    Christian

    --
    http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/python-list


    --
    Thanx & Regards,
    Deepak Rokade

    Do what u Enjoy &
    Enjoy what u Do...........
    -------------- next part --------------
    An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
    URL: <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/attachments/20090320/fb92c6b5/attachment.htm>
  • Christian Heimes at Mar 20, 2009 at 7:27 pm

    Deepak Rokade wrote:
    I am trying to build package "pyprocessing" for python 2.5

    I am using sun machine with Solaris 5.8

    drokade at himalaya:~/modules_python/processing-0.52
    (Deepak:)uname -a
    SunOS himalaya 5.8 Generic_117350-35 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire

    While building the package I get below warnings.

    (Deepak:)python setup.py build
    Macros:
    HAVE_FD_TRANSFER = 1
    HAVE_SEM_OPEN = 1
    HAVE_SEM_TIMEDWAIT = 1

    Libraries:
    ['rt']
    Can you do me a favor and compile Python 2.6.1 on your machine? The
    download link is http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.6.1/

    I like to know if the multiprocessing module in 2.6.1 builds correctly
    on Solaris. I also need the version number of GCC (gcc -v) and the value
    of sys.platform (python -c "import sys; print sys.platform").

    Thanks!

    I'm including Jesse, the maintainer of Python 2.6's multiprocessing
    module, in our discussion. It seem like Solaris needs
    HAVE_FD_TRANSFER=0, HAVE_SEM_TIMEDWAIT = 0 in order to compile
    multiprocessing.

    Christian
  • Deepak Rokade at Mar 26, 2009 at 2:12 pm
    Hi,
    I treed to comple the python 2.6 on Solaris 5.8 with gcc version 3.3.2
    Initially multiprocessing package was not compile succesfully.

    below errors:

    Failed to find the necessary bits to build these modules:

    _bsddb _hashlib _sqlite3

    _ssl _tkinter bsddb185

    gdbm linuxaudiodev ossaudiodev

    readline

    To find the necessary bits, look in setup.py in detect_modules() for the
    module's name.





    Failed to build these modules:

    _curses _curses_panel _multiprocessing



    running build_scripts

    creating build/scripts-2.6

    copying and adjusting
    /home/drokade/packages_less/PYTHON_2.6/Python-2.6.1/Tools/scripts/pydoc ->
    build/scripts-2.6

    copying and adjusting
    /home/drokade/packages_less/PYTHON_2.6/Python-2.6.1/Tools/scripts/idle ->
    build/scripts-2.6

    copying and adjusting
    /home/drokade/packages_less/PYTHON_2.6/Python-2.6.1/Tools/scripts/2to3 ->
    build/scripts-2.6

    copying and adjusting
    /home/drokade/packages_less/PYTHON_2.6/Python-2.6.1/Lib/smtpd.py ->
    build/scripts-2.6

    changing mode of build/scripts-2.6/pydoc from 664 to 775

    changing mode of build/scripts-2.6/idle from 664 to 775

    changing mode of build/scripts-2.6/2to3 from 664 to 775

    changing mode of build/scripts-2.6/smtpd.py from 664 to 775



    drokade at himalaya:~/packages_less/PYTHON_2.6/Python-2.6.1

    (Deepak:)



    (Deepak:)gcc -v

    Reading specs from /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.8/3.3.2/specs

    Configured with: ../configure --with-as=/usr/ccs/bin/as
    --with-ld=/usr/ccs/bin/ld --disable-nls

    Thread model: posix

    gcc version 3.3.2



    Then later I modified the "setup.py" script as
    else: # Linux and other unices
    macros = dict(
    HAVE_SEM_OPEN=0,
    HAVE_SEM_TIMEDWAIT=0,
    HAVE_FD_TRANSFER=0
    )

    and then I could compile multiprocessing module , after "make clean"
    however I got error while importing this module

    bash-2.03$ python2.6
    Python 2.6.1 (r261:67515, Mar 26 2009, 11:44:45)
    [GCC 3.3.2] on sunos5
    Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.

    import multiprocessing
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
    File
    "/home/drokade/packages_less/PYTHON_2.6/Python-2.6.1_Compiled//lib/python2.6/multiprocessing/__init__.py",
    line 63, in <module>
    from multiprocessing.process import Process, current_process,
    active_children
    File
    "/home/drokade/packages_less/PYTHON_2.6/Python-2.6.1_Compiled//lib/python2.6/multiprocessing/process.py",
    line 18, in <module>
    import itertools
    ImportError: No module named itertools
    ^D


    I think we should have these flags seperate for "SunOs" currently.

    bash-2.03$
    bash-2.03$ python2.6 -c "import sys; print sys.platform"
    sunos5
    bash-2.03$

    On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 12:57 AM, Christian Heimes wrote:

    Deepak Rokade wrote:
    I am trying to build package "pyprocessing" for python 2.5

    I am using sun machine with Solaris 5.8

    drokade at himalaya:~/modules_python/processing-0.52
    (Deepak:)uname -a
    SunOS himalaya 5.8 Generic_117350-35 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire

    While building the package I get below warnings.

    (Deepak:)python setup.py build
    Macros:
    HAVE_FD_TRANSFER = 1
    HAVE_SEM_OPEN = 1
    HAVE_SEM_TIMEDWAIT = 1

    Libraries:
    ['rt']
    Can you do me a favor and compile Python 2.6.1 on your machine? The
    download link is http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.6.1/

    I like to know if the multiprocessing module in 2.6.1 builds correctly
    on Solaris. I also need the version number of GCC (gcc -v) and the value
    of sys.platform (python -c "import sys; print sys.platform").

    Thanks!

    I'm including Jesse, the maintainer of Python 2.6's multiprocessing
    module, in our discussion. It seem like Solaris needs
    HAVE_FD_TRANSFER=0, HAVE_SEM_TIMEDWAIT = 0 in order to compile
    multiprocessing.

    Christian




    --
    Thanx & Regards,
    Deepak Rokade

    Do what u Enjoy &
    Enjoy what u Do...........
    -------------- next part --------------
    An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
    URL: <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/attachments/20090326/9ad830eb/attachment-0001.htm>

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
grouppython-list @
categoriespython
postedMar 20, '09 at 1:06p
activeMar 26, '09 at 2:12p
posts7
users2
websitepython.org

2 users in discussion

Deepak Rokade: 4 posts Christian Heimes: 3 posts

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2022 Grokbase