We're trying to move to Python for a few parts of our application. We
have a live database, which has been modeled for a specific use, and
has other code connecting to and working with it.

We'd like to reduce the amount of work we have to do in terms of
keeping our python code up-to-date with schema changes, and we don't
want python objects to dictate how the database should be structured.

Can you recommend an ORM (or similar) package to look into?

Search Discussions

  • Bruno Desthuilliers at Jan 28, 2009 at 10:02 am

    Phillip B Oldham a ?crit :
    We're trying to move to Python for a few parts of our application. We
    have a live database, which has been modeled for a specific use, and
    has other code connecting to and working with it.

    We'd like to reduce the amount of work we have to do in terms of
    keeping our python code up-to-date with schema changes, and we don't
    want python objects to dictate how the database should be structured.

    Can you recommend an ORM (or similar) package to look into?
    AFAICT, SQLAlchemy is the most "tolerant" (and advanced) Python SQL
    abstraction / ORM package.
  • Marco Mariani at Jan 28, 2009 at 11:31 am

    Phillip B Oldham wrote:

    Can you recommend an ORM (or similar) package to look into?
    SQLAlchemy with reflected tables. You can use straight SQL, generate it
    dynamically via python expressions, go with the ORM, or everything
    together (in a bucket :)
    It really pays due respect to the RDBMS, and does not try to avoid the
    OO-SQL gap.

grouppython-list @
categoriespython
postedJan 28, '09 at 9:35a