Hello all,

I need to compile python myself because of a module (pivy). So I
downloaded MS Visual C++ 2008 express edition. It apparently compiled
fine but I don't know how to install it to recreate the standard
distribution. In linux i'd take "make install", but on windows?

Regards,

Juan Pablo

Search Discussions

  • Gabriel Genellina at Dec 9, 2008 at 2:33 pm
    En Tue, 09 Dec 2008 11:32:46 -0200, Juan Pablo Romero M?ndez
    <jpablo.romero at gmail.com> escribi?:
    I need to compile python myself because of a module (pivy). So I
    downloaded MS Visual C++ 2008 express edition. It apparently compiled
    fine but I don't know how to install it to recreate the standard
    distribution. In linux i'd take "make install", but on windows?
    See Tools/msi/README.txt
    BTW, do you really have to recompile Python? Unless the project requires
    some specific compiler flags incompatible with the standard build, usually
    there is no need to recompile Python just because of an extension.

    --
    Gabriel Genellina
  • Juan Pablo Romero Méndez at Dec 10, 2008 at 1:23 am

    I'm having trouble with msi.py, so I'll better try python 2.6

    The problem is with Pivy (openinventor bindings to python), it refuses
    to compile. It says:

    error: Python was built with Visual Studio 2003;
    extensions must be built with a compiler than can generate compatible binaries.
    Visual Studio 2003 was not found on this system. If you have Cygwin installed,
    you can try compiling with MingW32, by passing "-c mingw32" to setup.py.

    And because I've been compiling everything needed by pivy (Coin, Qt,
    SoQt, PyQt) with visual c++ 8, I decided to recompile python itself.

    Juan Pablo

    En Tue, 09 Dec 2008 11:32:46 -0200, Juan Pablo Romero M?ndez
    <jpablo.romero at gmail.com> escribi?:
    I need to compile python myself because of a module (pivy). So I
    downloaded MS Visual C++ 2008 express edition. It apparently compiled
    fine but I don't know how to install it to recreate the standard
    distribution. In linux i'd take "make install", but on windows?
    See Tools/msi/README.txt
    BTW, do you really have to recompile Python? Unless the project requires
    some specific compiler flags incompatible with the standard build, usually
    there is no need to recompile Python just because of an extension.

    --
    Gabriel Genellina

  • Martin v. Löwis at Dec 10, 2008 at 6:10 am

    error: Python was built with Visual Studio 2003;
    extensions must be built with a compiler than can generate compatible binaries.
    Visual Studio 2003 was not found on this system. If you have Cygwin installed,
    you can try compiling with MingW32, by passing "-c mingw32" to setup.py.

    And because I've been compiling everything needed by pivy (Coin, Qt,
    SoQt, PyQt) with visual c++ 8, I decided to recompile python itself.
    There isn't a real installation procedure. You just copy the files by
    hand into the places where they belong. In the specific case,
    overwriting all .exe, .dll, and .pyd files in an installed directory
    should be sufficient.

    Regards,
    Martin
  • Juan Pablo Romero Méndez at Dec 11, 2008 at 3:07 am
    Finally installed Python 2.6, which is compiled with visual C++ 2008,
    and all my problems went away.

    Thanks to all,

    Juan Pablo