We have a problem here. We have a website written in PHP. and many
programs written in Python. The communication between the components is
messy. os.system calls are mixed with popen, xml-rpc and others. We
would like to make it consistent and portable. We would like to use free
software. What are our options? I checked these:

- Bonobo is the most advanced, but it can only handle C language
- FNORB is good for Python, but not for PHP
- OmniORB would be very good for C and Python, but not PHP

There are others but they do not support both Python and PHP. Should I
implement my own ORB, or do you know a suitable solution?

Thank you,

Laszlo

Search Discussions

  • Diez B. Roggisch at Dec 8, 2008 at 9:38 pm

    Laszlo Nagy schrieb:
    We have a problem here. We have a website written in PHP. and many
    programs written in Python. The communication between the components is
    messy. os.system calls are mixed with popen, xml-rpc and others. We
    would like to make it consistent and portable. We would like to use free
    software. What are our options? I checked these:

    - Bonobo is the most advanced, but it can only handle C language
    - FNORB is good for Python, but not for PHP
    - OmniORB would be very good for C and Python, but not PHP

    There are others but they do not support both Python and PHP. Should I
    implement my own ORB, or do you know a suitable solution?

    The whole purpose of an ORB ist that it is interoperable. So if you have
    a good python orb (I personally prefer OmniORB), and a good one for PHP
    - connect them.

    I would suggest a consistent XMLRPC-interface though.

    Diez
  • Laszlo Nagy at Dec 9, 2008 at 8:52 am

    There are others but they do not support both Python and PHP. Should
    I implement my own ORB, or do you know a suitable solution?

    The whole purpose of an ORB ist that it is interoperable. So if you
    have a good python orb (I personally prefer OmniORB), and a good one
    for PHP - connect them.
    Are all ORBs compatible with each other? I know that this is offtopic,
    but do you know any ORB for PHP? I couldn't find any.
    I would suggest a consistent XMLRPC-interface though.
    Unfortunately, this would not be good. Sometimes we need to pass through
    binary data (image file), do session management (which is hard to do
    with xml-rpc, where each request is a new connection) and optimize speed
    for communication when the parties are on the same machine.

    Laszlo
  • Diez B. Roggisch at Dec 9, 2008 at 9:06 am

    Laszlo Nagy schrieb:
    There are others but they do not support both Python and PHP. Should
    I implement my own ORB, or do you know a suitable solution?

    The whole purpose of an ORB ist that it is interoperable. So if you
    have a good python orb (I personally prefer OmniORB), and a good one
    for PHP - connect them.
    Are all ORBs compatible with each other? I know that this is offtopic,
    but do you know any ORB for PHP? I couldn't find any.

    As I said - that's the *purpose* of ORBs. It has taken a while, but
    AFAIK by now CORBA2.3 is pretty stable.

    What about this?

    http://phporb.sourceforge.net/

    I never used it though. PHP isn't to well suited for CORBA, due to the
    request/response-cycle based architecture.
    I would suggest a consistent XMLRPC-interface though.
    Unfortunately, this would not be good. Sometimes we need to pass through
    binary data (image file), do session management (which is hard to do
    with xml-rpc, where each request is a new connection) and optimize speed
    for communication when the parties are on the same machine.

    Then maybe thrift is for you. http://wiki.apache.org/thrift/ThriftGeneration

    Diez

grouppython-list @
categoriespython
postedDec 8, '08 at 9:18p
activeDec 9, '08 at 9:06a
websitepython.org

2 users in discussion

Laszlo Nagy: 2 posts Diez B. Roggisch: 2 posts