Hello,
Install python modules in a linux computer is really easy, it is because
the module is a package of the distribution or because the python
installation is really easy. But, in both situations, you need root
privilegies.

I would like to know how to install modules only for one user, with no
root privilegies. Do you know if it is possible and easy. I would like
to add that i need some modules only for my user and incly for one
progam.

Thanks in advance!

Alfons.

--
------------
Alfons Nonell-Canals, PhD

http://alfons.elmeuportal.cat
http://www.selenocisteina.info

Search Discussions

  • Philipp Pagel at Nov 24, 2008 at 9:44 am

    Alfons Nonell-Canals wrote:
    Install python modules in a linux computer is really easy, it is because
    the module is a package of the distribution or because the python
    installation is really easy. But, in both situations, you need root
    privilegies.
    I would like to know how to install modules only for one user, with no
    root privilegies. Do you know if it is possible and easy.
    Yes, there is. You can choose among two strategies referred to as "home scheme"
    and "prefix scheme" in the "Installing Python Modules" documentation:

    http://docs.python.org/install/index.html

    Have a look at Section 3 "Alternate installation".

    cu
    Philipp

    --
    Dr. Philipp Pagel
    Lehrstuhl f. Genomorientierte Bioinformatik

    Philipp Pagel wrote:

    Alfons Nonell-Canals wrote:
    Install python modules in a linux computer is really easy, it is because
    the module is a package of the distribution or because the python
    installation is really easy. But, in both situations, you need root
    privilegies.
    I would like to know how to install modules only for one user, with no
    root privilegies. Do you know if it is possible and easy.
    Yes, there is. You can choose among two strategies referred to as "home
    scheme" and "prefix scheme" in the "Installing Python Modules"
    documentation:

    http://docs.python.org/install/index.html

    Have a look at Section 3 "Alternate installation".
    That's waaaaaaaaay much more than is actually needed, as thus each user
    would end up with a different installation.

    Setting the PYTHONPATH-env-variable to a user writable location allows e.g.
    easy_install and friends to install into that location. And installing
    virtualenv globally, everybody can create a "local"
    site-packages-directory.

    Diez
  • Jorgen Grahn at Nov 28, 2008 at 9:50 am

    Install python modules in a linux computer is really easy, it is because
    the module is a package of the distribution or because the python
    installation is really easy. But, in both situations, you need root
    privilegies.
    I would like to know how to install modules only for one user, with no
    root privilegies. Do you know if it is possible and easy.
    Yes, there is. You can choose among two strategies referred to as "home
    scheme" and "prefix scheme" in the "Installing Python Modules"
    documentation:

    http://docs.python.org/install/index.html

    Have a look at Section 3 "Alternate installation".
    That's waaaaaaaaay much more than is actually needed, as thus each user
    would end up with a different installation.
    The "home scheme", you mean. It seems to me that this is exactly what
    the poster wants -- mess with a bunch of modules without having to
    consider anyone else's needs.
    Setting the PYTHONPATH-env-variable to a user writable location allows e.g.
    easy_install and friends to install into that location.
    Yes, but the users have to trust everyone with write access to that
    place. Someone could replace a module with a trojan horse, or simply
    with a newer version which isn't compatible, and things would break.

    Sometimes this is OK, but sometimes you only trust root and yourself.
    And installing
    virtualenv globally, everybody can create a "local"
    site-packages-directory.
    Cannot comment -- I haven't used it.

    /Jorgen

  • Scott David Daniels at Nov 24, 2008 at 7:10 pm

    Alfons Nonell-Canals wrote:
    Hello,
    Install python modules in a linux computer is really easy, it is because
    the module is a package of the distribution or because the python
    installation is really easy. But, in both situations, you need root
    privilegies.

    I would like to know how to install modules only for one user, with no
    root privilegies. Do you know if it is possible and easy. I would like
    to add that i need some modules only for my user and incly for one
    progam.

    Thanks in advance!

    Alfons.
    As I just replied to another user (thinking I was responding to this
    post), as of Python 2.6 / 3.0, if Python is not restricted to system
    directories for security reasons (if sys.flags.no_user_site is non-0),
    you may make a directory in your home directory to be searched. See
    http://docs.python.org/library/site.html
    for details on USER_SITE and USER_BASE.

    That provides a searched location without having to cook up a custom
    PYTHONPATH.

    --Scott David Daniels
    Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org

grouppython-list @