Hello,

I need some help getting output values from my stored procedures when
using adodbapi. There's an example
testVariableReturningStoredProcedure in adodbapitest.py, and that
works for my system. But my stored procedure also inserts and
accesses a table in the database. Here's what I have it boiled down
to:

So, when I have
CREATE PROCEDURE sp_DeleteMeOnlyForTesting
@theInput varchar(50),
@theOtherInput varchar(50),
@theOutput varchar(100) OUTPUT
AS
SET @theOutput=@theInput+ at theOtherInput

Then, I can run in python:
cursor = db.conn.cursor()
cursor.callproc('sp_DeleteMeOnlyForTesting', ('hello', 'bye', ''))
[u'hello', u'bye', u'hellobye']

If I redefined the procedure as
CREATE PROCEDURE sp_DeleteMeOnlyForTesting
@theInput varchar(50),
@theOtherInput varchar(50),
@theOutput varchar(100) OUTPUT
AS
SELECT * From dbo.testtable
SET @theOutput=@theInput+ at theOtherInput

Then, the python comes out as :
cursor = db.conn.cursor()
cursor.callproc('sp_DeleteMeOnlyForTesting', ('hello', 'bye', ''))
[u'hello', u'bye', u'']

My search on the web found a couple of posts with similar problems,
but no solutions. I am using SQLOLEDB.1 as Provider, connecting to
SQL Server 2005.

Any help appreciated. I just need one method of passing an output
parameter back to python.

Thanks,
Li

Search Discussions

  • M.-A. Lemburg at Nov 7, 2008 at 2:57 pm

[...]

    Note that if you can, you should try to avoid output parameters
    in stored procedures.

    It's much more efficient to use multiple result sets for these,
    so instead of doing

    SELECT * From dbo.testtable
    SET @theOutput=@theInput+ at theOtherInput

    you would write

    SELECT * From dbo.testtable
    SELECT @theInput+ at theOtherInput

    and then fetch the data using:

    cursor.callproc(...)
    test_table_result_set = cursor.fetchall()
    cursor.nextset()
    (output_variables,) = cursor.fetchone()

    I don't know whether the above works for adodbapi. It does for mxODBC
    and most other DB-API compatible modules that support .nextset().

    --
    Marc-Andre Lemburg
    eGenix.com

    Professional Python Services directly from the Source (#1, Nov 07 2008)
    Python/Zope Consulting and Support ... http://www.egenix.com/
    mxODBC.Zope.Database.Adapter ... http://zope.egenix.com/
    mxODBC, mxDateTime, mxTextTools ... http://python.egenix.com/

  • Leesquare at Nov 7, 2008 at 4:32 pm
    Thanks for that excellent pointer!

    I was able to do just what you said with

    But if my procedure has an insert statement in its midst, it doesn't
    work. The cursor.fetchall() gets an exception.
    Any ideas?

    --Li
  • M.-A. Lemburg at Nov 8, 2008 at 2:25 pm

    I was able to do just what you said with

    But if my procedure has an insert statement in its midst, it doesn't
    work. The cursor.fetchall() gets an exception.
    Any ideas?
    Try this (I haven't checked that it works, but it's a possibility),
    assuming your query uses the order SELECT, INSERT, SELECT:

    # Fetch results from first SELECT
    test_table_result_set = cursor.fetchall()
    cursor.nextset()

    # Ignore "empty" result set
    cursor.nextset()

    # Fetch results from second SELECT
    (output_variables,) = cursor.fetchone()

    --
    Marc-Andre Lemburg
    eGenix.com

    Professional Python Services directly from the Source (#1, Nov 08 2008)
    Python/Zope Consulting and Support ... http://www.egenix.com/
    mxODBC.Zope.Database.Adapter ... http://zope.egenix.com/
    mxODBC, mxDateTime, mxTextTools ... http://python.egenix.com/

  • Roger Upole at Nov 7, 2008 at 6:18 pm
[...]

    Output parameters aren't actually retrieved until you've iterated
    thru all record sets. The below works using ADO objects
    directly, not sure how it would translate into adodbapi.

    import win32com.client

    conn_str="Driver={SQL Server};Server=.\\SqlExpress;Trusted_Connection=yes;"
    sp_name="sp_DeleteMeOnlyForTesting"

    c=win32com.client.gencache.EnsureDispatch('adodb.connection',0)
    c.Open(conn_str)

    cmd=win32com.client.Dispatch('ADODB.Command')
    cmd.ActiveConnection=c
    cmd.CommandType = win32com.client.constants.adCmdStoredProc
    cmd.CommandText = sp_name

    cmd.Parameters('@theInput').Value = 'bork'
    cmd.Parameters('@theOtherInput').Value = 'borkbork'
    rs, rc = cmd.Execute()
    rs.NextRecordset()
    print (cmd.Parameters('@theOutput').Value)

    If the NextRecordset line is commented out, the output parm
    is None.

    Roger

grouppython-list @
categoriespython