The current CentOs Linux distro includes python 2.4.3. I need to
install a more recent version but I am worried about breaking CentOs
python dependencies. Is it safe to install python 2.6 using pup?

Search Discussions

  • Diez B. Roggisch at Oct 17, 2008 at 12:51 pm

    Brendan schrieb:
    The current CentOs Linux distro includes python 2.4.3. I need to
    install a more recent version but I am worried about breaking CentOs
    python dependencies. Is it safe to install python 2.6 using pup?
    It should be, yes. Usually, Distros make sure it doesn't break anything
    - and python can have several installations living happily along each
    other.

    The only caveat I see is that you might accidentially replace
    /usr/bin/python with the newer version. Make sure you keep that to the
    one the system wants, and simply use python2.6 as executable-name.

    Diez
  • Michele Simionato at Oct 17, 2008 at 12:57 pm

    The current CentOs Linux distro includes python 2.4.3. I need to
    install a more recent version but I am worried about breaking CentOs
    python dependencies. Is it safe to install python 2.6 using pup?
    It should be, yes. Usually, Distros make sure it doesn't break anything
    - and python can have several installations living happily along each
    other.

    The only caveat I see is that you might accidentially replace
    /usr/bin/python with the newer version. Make sure you keep that to the
    one the system wants, and simply use python2.6 as executable-name.

    Diez
    If you install from sources, the safest path is to run

    $ sudo make altinstall (will add the version number to the executable)

    and NOT

    $ sudo make install
  • Brendan at Oct 17, 2008 at 1:17 pm

    If you install from sources, the safest path is to run

    $ sudo make altinstall (will add the version number to the executable)

    and NOT

    $ sudo make install
    Ah, that is perfect. Thank-you!

grouppython-list @