I've put together a tutorial that shows off how to build a GUI
application using XULRunner (same architectural components as Firefox
uses) that can be used in conjunction with the Python programming language.

The tutorial covers how to build a Python/XULRunner GUI application:
http://pyxpcomext.mozdev.org/no_wrap/tutorials/pyxulrunner/python_xulrunner_about.html

The details in this tutorial covers the initial setup to full
packaging/deployment, mostly targeting a Windows/Linux platform (MacOSX
is possible with a few deviations, I have tried to cover these
deviations where applicable).

Feedback is welcome.

Cheers,
Todd

Search Discussions

  • Don Spaulding at Sep 17, 2008 at 5:56 pm

    I've put together a tutorial that shows off how to build a GUI
    application using XULRunner (same architectural components as Firefox
    uses) that can be used in conjunction with the Python programming language.

    The tutorial covers how to build a Python/XULRunner GUI application:http://pyxpcomext.mozdev.org/no_wrap/tutorials/pyxulrunner/python_xul...

    The details in this tutorial covers the initial setup to full
    packaging/deployment, mostly targeting a Windows/Linux platform (MacOSX
    is possible with a few deviations, I have tried to cover these
    deviations where applicable).

    Feedback is welcome.

    Cheers,
    Todd
    I get to the "Running" step and run into "Couldn't load XPCOM."

    Does this work on x86_64? Or have I made a rookie mistake?

    xulapp1$ ls
    app docs installer pyxpcom_gui_app
    xulapp1$ cd pyxpcom_gui_app/
    pyxpcom_gui_app$ ls
    application.ini components extensions pyxpcom_gui_app
    chrome defaults pylib xulrunner
    pyxpcom_gui_app$ ./pyxpcom_gui_app
    Couldn't load XPCOM.
  • Todd Whiteman at Sep 17, 2008 at 6:21 pm