Hi all,

I'm trying to find a way to get a list of all the installed programs
on a Windows box via Python. I thought of a few hacks that might
partially work, and then thought about "Add/Remove Programs" Seems
like the right way to go. I looked over the pywin32 docs a bit, but
nothing slapped me in the face.

Is there any reliable way to get at that info?

Thanks in advance,

~Sean

Search Discussions

  • Larry Bates at Sep 4, 2008 at 2:06 am

    Sean DiZazzo wrote:
    Hi all,

    I'm trying to find a way to get a list of all the installed programs
    on a Windows box via Python. I thought of a few hacks that might
    partially work, and then thought about "Add/Remove Programs" Seems
    like the right way to go. I looked over the pywin32 docs a bit, but
    nothing slapped me in the face.

    Is there any reliable way to get at that info?

    Thanks in advance,

    ~Sean
    I would guess that that program gets the information from the registry.
    Maybe looking at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE or HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software branches?

    -Larry
  • Gabriel Genellina at Sep 4, 2008 at 2:13 am
    En Wed, 03 Sep 2008 21:51:59 -0300, Sean DiZazzo <half.italian at gmail.com>
    escribi?:
    I'm trying to find a way to get a list of all the installed programs
    on a Windows box via Python. I thought of a few hacks that might
    partially work, and then thought about "Add/Remove Programs" Seems
    like the right way to go. I looked over the pywin32 docs a bit, but
    nothing slapped me in the face.

    Is there any reliable way to get at that info?
    You may enumerate the entries under this registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

    --
    Gabriel Genellina
  • Sean DiZazzo at Sep 4, 2008 at 2:41 am

    I'm trying to find a way to get a list of all the installed programs
    on a Windows box via Python. ?I thought of a few hacks that might
    partially work, and then thought about "Add/Remove Programs" ?Seems
    like the right way to go. ?I looked over the pywin32 docs a bit, but
    nothing slapped me in the face.
    Is there any reliable way to get at that info?
    You may enumerate the entries under this registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

    --
    Gabriel Genellina
    Thank both of you. Perfect!

    ~Sean
  • Mike Driscoll at Sep 4, 2008 at 1:34 pm

    I'm trying to find a way to get a list of all the installed programs
    on a Windows box via Python. ?I thought of a few hacks that might
    partially work, and then thought about "Add/Remove Programs" ?Seems
    like the right way to go. ?I looked over the pywin32 docs a bit, but
    nothing slapped me in the face.
    Is there any reliable way to get at that info?
    You may enumerate the entries under this registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
    --
    Gabriel Genellina
    Thank both of you. ?Perfect!

    ~Sean
    I have used both of these methods, but it should be noted that not all
    programs register themselves in the registry. The usual suspects are
    spyware related. But there are still a few programs that you can just
    download and unzip that don't write anything to the registry.

    But this does work for probably 99% of programs on Windows.

    Mike

grouppython-list @
categoriespython
postedSep 4, '08 at 12:51a