FAQ
Decided to try to install PIL on my Mac (OS X.5).

I know nothing about installing programs on Linux,
nothing about building C programs, nothing about
installing libraries, nothing about "fink", nothing
about anything. Please insert question marks after
every sentence:

I saw a "BUILDME" with instructions "for lazy programmers".
I did that. It seems that everything worked except a
jpg library is missing.

I read that I need to install libjpeg. I read that on OS X
this is "usually" done using fink. Great:

(i) The idea of installing fink scares me, for no reason
I could name. There's no way that's going to confuse the
rest of Darwin, right?

(ii) When I look at the fink website I see a list of
supported libraries, not including libjpeg.

I hate messing with things that I don't understand at _all_...

Thanks for any advice or comments.

DU.

******************************************************************

PIL 1.1.6 BUILD SUMMARY
--------------------------------------------------------------------
version 1.1.6
platform darwin 2.5.1 (r251:54863, Jan 17 2008, 19:35:17)
[GCC 4.0.1 (Apple Inc. build 5465)]
--------------------------------------------------------------------
--- TKINTER support ok
*** JPEG support not available
--- ZLIB (PNG/ZIP) support ok
--- FREETYPE2 support ok
--------------------------------------------------------------------
To add a missing option, make sure you have the required
library, and set the corresponding ROOT variable in the
setup.py script.

To check the build, run the selftest.py script.
0-1d-4f-fc-28-d:Imaging-1.1.6 dullric$ python selftest.py
*****************************************************************
Failure in example: _info(Image.open("Images/lena.jpg"))
from line #24 of selftest.testimage
Exception raised:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "./doctest.py", line 499, in _run_examples_inner
exec compile(source, "<string>", "single") in globs
File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
File "./selftest.py", line 22, in _info
im.load()
File "PIL/ImageFile.py", line 180, in load
d = Image._getdecoder(self.mode, d, a, self.decoderconfig)
File "PIL/Image.py", line 375, in _getdecoder
raise IOError("decoder %s not available" % decoder_name)
IOError: decoder jpeg not available
1 items had failures:
1 of 57 in selftest.testimage
***Test Failed*** 1 failures.
*** 1 tests of 57 failed.

--
David C. Ullrich

Search Discussions

  • Kevin Walzer at Aug 1, 2008 at 9:01 pm

    David C. Ullrich wrote:
    Decided to try to install PIL on my Mac (OS X.5).
    OK, sounds good.
    I know nothing about installing programs on Linux,
    nothing about building C programs, nothing about
    installing libraries, nothing about "fink", nothing
    about anything. Please insert question marks after
    every sentence:
    For the record, OS X isn't Linux--it's a variant of BSD Unix. Similar,
    but no identical, to Linux.
    I saw a "BUILDME" with instructions "for lazy programmers".
    I did that. It seems that everything worked except a
    jpg library is missing. OK.
    I read that I need to install libjpeg. I read that on OS X
    this is "usually" done using fink. Great:

    (i) The idea of installing fink scares me, for no reason
    I could name. There's no way that's going to confuse the
    rest of Darwin, right?
    You don't really need Fink just to install libjpeg. You do need the
    developer tools (Xcode) installed, otherwise you can't build any
    software at all.

    Libjpeg can be downloaded from http://www.ijg.org/. Download it,
    untar/unzip it. Fire up terminal, cd to the libjpeg directory, and type
    these commands:

    configure
    make
    sudo make install

    That should get libjpeg built and installed.
    (ii) When I look at the fink website I see a list of
    supported libraries, not including libjpeg.
    So don't worry about Fink.
    I hate messing with things that I don't understand at _all_...
    Well, that's understandable, but this is your chance to learn something
    new.
    Thanks for any advice or comments.

    DU.
    --Kevin

    --
    Kevin Walzer
    Code by Kevin
    http://www.codebykevin.com
  • David C. Ullrich at Aug 2, 2008 at 4:16 pm
    From the other reply it seems I may not need to worry
    about any of this. Otoh I've had issues with pythonmac
    versus OSX versions, etc, in the past. Just in case,
    also in the spirit of that curious idea that learning
    things is good:

    First, it occurred to me that I've got wxPython installed
    and it includes jpeg support. I don't suppose that means that
    wxPython has already put a libjpeg somewhere and I just
    need to tell PIL where it is?

    Regardless, about your suggestions below (again,
    any assertions here are really questions):

    Presumably jibjpeg needs to be unzipped into its own
    directory, or configure/make etc wouldn't be able to
    figure out what I want to make. Presumably that happens
    automatically when I unzip it.

    Then after I do the configure/make/sudo make install will
    libjpeg automatically be in some standard place? If not,
    what's a good choice of standard place to put it, and
    how do I put it there? (If I start here then it will
    unzip to there, and then after I make it there it will
    be installed in this third place, which is where I want
    it.)

    Thanks. Sorry to be so dumb - yes, it's perfectly reasonable
    for eff to assume that people using PIL are programmers.
    With a "new thing" in, say, Python I'd just try something
    and then figure out what to try next to make it work - I
    don't want to take that approach here lest I re-make
    part of Darwin or something. Once many years ago I
    learned a new thing: Attempting to run a sufficiently
    invalid DOS exe could cause physical damage to a hard
    drive... that wasn't the only thing I learned that day.

    (Probably won't get back to this til Monday, btw, in
    case you say something and I don't seem interested.)

    DU.

    In article <489379A7.5060009 at codebykevin.com>,
    Kevin Walzer wrote:
    David C. Ullrich wrote:
    Decided to try to install PIL on my Mac (OS X.5).
    OK, sounds good.
    I know nothing about installing programs on Linux,
    nothing about building C programs, nothing about
    installing libraries, nothing about "fink", nothing
    about anything. Please insert question marks after
    every sentence:
    For the record, OS X isn't Linux--it's a variant of BSD Unix. Similar,
    but no identical, to Linux.
    I saw a "BUILDME" with instructions "for lazy programmers".
    I did that. It seems that everything worked except a
    jpg library is missing. OK.
    I read that I need to install libjpeg. I read that on OS X
    this is "usually" done using fink. Great:

    (i) The idea of installing fink scares me, for no reason
    I could name. There's no way that's going to confuse the
    rest of Darwin, right?
    You don't really need Fink just to install libjpeg. You do need the
    developer tools (Xcode) installed, otherwise you can't build any
    software at all.

    Libjpeg can be downloaded from http://www.ijg.org/. Download it,
    untar/unzip it. Fire up terminal, cd to the libjpeg directory, and type
    these commands:

    configure
    make
    sudo make install

    That should get libjpeg built and installed.
    (ii) When I look at the fink website I see a list of
    supported libraries, not including libjpeg.
    So don't worry about Fink.
    I hate messing with things that I don't understand at _all_...
    Well, that's understandable, but this is your chance to learn something
    new.
    Thanks for any advice or comments.

    DU.
    --Kevin
    --
    David C. Ullrich
  • Kevin Walzer at Aug 2, 2008 at 4:30 pm

    First, it occurred to me that I've got wxPython installed
    and it includes jpeg support. I don't suppose that means that
    wxPython has already put a libjpeg somewhere and I just
    need to tell PIL where it is?
    I doubt it. You're probably better off building libjpeg yourself.

    Presumably jibjpeg needs to be unzipped into its own
    directory, or configure/make etc wouldn't be able to
    figure out what I want to make. Presumably that happens
    automatically when I unzip it. Yes.
    Then after I do the configure/make/sudo make install will
    libjpeg automatically be in some standard place? If not,
    what's a good choice of standard place to put it, and
    how do I put it there? (If I start here then it will
    unzip to there, and then after I make it there it will
    be installed in this third place, which is where I want
    it.)
    I think, by default, that it installs in /usr/local/lib. You can run
    configure --help in the libjpeg directory and it will give you a rundown
    of the various options, including where to install libjepg if you want a
    different place.

    Thanks. Sorry to be so dumb - yes, it's perfectly reasonable
    for eff to assume that people using PIL are programmers.
    With a "new thing" in, say, Python I'd just try something
    and then figure out what to try next to make it work - I
    don't want to take that approach here lest I re-make
    part of Darwin or something. Once many years ago I
    learned a new thing: Attempting to run a sufficiently
    invalid DOS exe could cause physical damage to a hard
    drive... that wasn't the only thing I learned that day.
    /usr/local is a good place to install stuff in a way that won't disrupt
    your system. OS X/Darwin puts its system stuff in /usr/bin, /usr/lib,
    and so on.

    --Kevin

    --
    Kevin Walzer
    Code by Kevin
    http://www.codebykevin.com
  • David C. Ullrich at Aug 4, 2008 at 3:39 pm
    Thanks for the hand-holding.

    DU.

    In article <48948BBA.9050706 at codebykevin.com>,
    Kevin Walzer wrote:
    [more about installing libjpeg...]
    --
    David C. Ullrich
  • David C. Ullrich at Aug 4, 2008 at 8:28 pm
    Just as well that the message sent earlier today
    seems to have been lost...

    Ok. Read your instructions on libjpeg. Read some
    of the install.doc. ./configure, fine. make, fine.
    "make test", fine. So I said "sudo make install"
    and this happened:

    0-1d-4f-fc-28-d:jpeg-6b dullric$ sudo make install
    Password:
    /usr/bin/install -c cjpeg /usr/local/bin/cjpeg
    /usr/bin/install -c djpeg /usr/local/bin/djpeg
    /usr/bin/install -c jpegtran /usr/local/bin/jpegtran
    /usr/bin/install -c rdjpgcom /usr/local/bin/rdjpgcom
    /usr/bin/install -c wrjpgcom /usr/local/bin/wrjpgcom
    /usr/bin/install -c -m 644 ./cjpeg.1 /usr/local/man/man1/cjpeg.1
    /usr/bin/install -c -m 644 ./djpeg.1 /usr/local/man/man1/djpeg.1
    /usr/bin/install -c -m 644 ./jpegtran.1 /usr/local/man/man1/jpegtran.1
    /usr/bin/install -c -m 644 ./rdjpgcom.1 /usr/local/man/man1/rdjpgcom.1
    /usr/bin/install -c -m 644 ./wrjpgcom.1 /usr/local/man/man1/wrjpgcom.1

    Surely that means it was installed in /usr/local/bin, right?

    So I start over with PIL. It says I should "python setup.py build_ext
    -i".
    So I do:

    0-1d-4f-fc-28-d:Imaging-1.1.6 dullric$ python setup.py build_ext -i
    running build_ext
    --- using frameworks at /System/Library/Frameworks
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    PIL 1.1.6 BUILD SUMMARY
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    version 1.1.6
    platform darwin 2.5.1 (r251:54863, Jan 17 2008, 19:35:17)
    [GCC 4.0.1 (Apple Inc. build 5465)]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    --- TKINTER support ok
    *** JPEG support not available
    --- ZLIB (PNG/ZIP) support ok
    --- FREETYPE2 support ok
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    To add a missing option, make sure you have the required
    library, and set the corresponding ROOT variable in the
    setup.py script.

    So I look in setup.py and I find this:

    # Library pointers.
    #
    # Use None to look for the libraries in well-known library locations.
    # Use a string to specify a single directory, for both the library and
    # the include files. Use a tuple to specify separate directories:
    # (libpath, includepath). Examples:
    #
    # JPEG_ROOT = "/home/libraries/jpeg-6b"
    # TIFF_ROOT = "/opt/tiff/lib", "/opt/tiff/include"
    #
    # If you have "lib" and "include" directories under a common parent,
    # you can use the "libinclude" helper:
    #
    # TIFF_ROOT = libinclude("/opt/tiff")

    FREETYPE_ROOT = None
    JPEG_ROOT = None
    #JPEG_ROOT = "/usr/local/bin"

    I try it both ways, with JPEG_ROOT=None and
    JPEG_ROOT = "/usr/local/bin" - same result
    both times, "JPEG support not available".

    Any thoughts?

    Later in setup.py it says

    if find_library_file(self, "jpeg"):
    feature.jpeg = "jpeg"
    elif sys.platform == "win32" and find_library_file(self,
    "libjpeg"):
    feature.jpeg = "libjpeg" # alternative name

    Not knowing exactly what "find_library_file" does I
    couldn't say, but it almost sounds like it's looking
    for a file named "jpeg". The summary from the jpeg
    install looks like it didn't install any such file.
    Maybe "jpeg" should be the name of one of those files
    that did get installed?

    This _is_ fun. Eech.

    DU.

    --
    David C. Ullrich
  • Kevin Walzer at Aug 4, 2008 at 8:51 pm

    David C. Ullrich wrote:
    Just as well that the message sent earlier today
    seems to have been lost...

    Ok. Read your instructions on libjpeg. Read some
    of the install.doc. ./configure, fine. make, fine.
    "make test", fine. So I said "sudo make install"
    and this happened:

    0-1d-4f-fc-28-d:jpeg-6b dullric$ sudo make install
    Password:
    /usr/bin/install -c cjpeg /usr/local/bin/cjpeg
    /usr/bin/install -c djpeg /usr/local/bin/djpeg
    /usr/bin/install -c jpegtran /usr/local/bin/jpegtran
    /usr/bin/install -c rdjpgcom /usr/local/bin/rdjpgcom
    /usr/bin/install -c wrjpgcom /usr/local/bin/wrjpgcom
    /usr/bin/install -c -m 644 ./cjpeg.1 /usr/local/man/man1/cjpeg.1
    /usr/bin/install -c -m 644 ./djpeg.1 /usr/local/man/man1/djpeg.1
    /usr/bin/install -c -m 644 ./jpegtran.1 /usr/local/man/man1/jpegtran.1
    /usr/bin/install -c -m 644 ./rdjpgcom.1 /usr/local/man/man1/rdjpgcom.1
    /usr/bin/install -c -m 644 ./wrjpgcom.1 /usr/local/man/man1/wrjpgcom.1

    Surely that means it was installed in /usr/local/bin, right?

    So I start over with PIL. It says I should "python setup.py build_ext
    -i".
    So I do:

    0-1d-4f-fc-28-d:Imaging-1.1.6 dullric$ python setup.py build_ext -i
    running build_ext
    --- using frameworks at /System/Library/Frameworks
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    PIL 1.1.6 BUILD SUMMARY
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    version 1.1.6
    platform darwin 2.5.1 (r251:54863, Jan 17 2008, 19:35:17)
    [GCC 4.0.1 (Apple Inc. build 5465)]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    --- TKINTER support ok
    *** JPEG support not available
    --- ZLIB (PNG/ZIP) support ok
    --- FREETYPE2 support ok
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    To add a missing option, make sure you have the required
    library, and set the corresponding ROOT variable in the
    setup.py script.

    So I look in setup.py and I find this:

    # Library pointers.
    #
    # Use None to look for the libraries in well-known library locations.
    # Use a string to specify a single directory, for both the library and
    # the include files. Use a tuple to specify separate directories:
    # (libpath, includepath). Examples:
    #
    # JPEG_ROOT = "/home/libraries/jpeg-6b"
    # TIFF_ROOT = "/opt/tiff/lib", "/opt/tiff/include"
    #
    # If you have "lib" and "include" directories under a common parent,
    # you can use the "libinclude" helper:
    #
    # TIFF_ROOT = libinclude("/opt/tiff")

    FREETYPE_ROOT = None
    JPEG_ROOT = None
    #JPEG_ROOT = "/usr/local/bin"
    How about "/usr/local/lib" ? It's looking for a dylib (library file),
    not an executable (bin).


    --
    Kevin Walzer
    Code by Kevin
    http://www.codebykevin.com
  • David C. Ullrich at Aug 5, 2008 at 3:32 pm
    In article <48976BDD.3020709 at codebykevin.com>,
    Kevin Walzer wrote:
    David C. Ullrich wrote:
    Just as well that the message sent earlier today
    seems to have been lost...

    Ok. Read your instructions on libjpeg. Read some
    of the install.doc. ./configure, fine. make, fine.
    "make test", fine. So I said "sudo make install"
    and this happened:

    0-1d-4f-fc-28-d:jpeg-6b dullric$ sudo make install
    Password:
    /usr/bin/install -c cjpeg /usr/local/bin/cjpeg
    /usr/bin/install -c djpeg /usr/local/bin/djpeg
    /usr/bin/install -c jpegtran /usr/local/bin/jpegtran
    /usr/bin/install -c rdjpgcom /usr/local/bin/rdjpgcom
    /usr/bin/install -c wrjpgcom /usr/local/bin/wrjpgcom
    /usr/bin/install -c -m 644 ./cjpeg.1 /usr/local/man/man1/cjpeg.1
    /usr/bin/install -c -m 644 ./djpeg.1 /usr/local/man/man1/djpeg.1
    /usr/bin/install -c -m 644 ./jpegtran.1 /usr/local/man/man1/jpegtran.1
    /usr/bin/install -c -m 644 ./rdjpgcom.1 /usr/local/man/man1/rdjpgcom.1
    /usr/bin/install -c -m 644 ./wrjpgcom.1 /usr/local/man/man1/wrjpgcom.1

    Surely that means it was installed in /usr/local/bin, right?

    So I start over with PIL. It says I should "python setup.py build_ext
    -i".
    So I do:

    0-1d-4f-fc-28-d:Imaging-1.1.6 dullric$ python setup.py build_ext -i
    running build_ext
    --- using frameworks at /System/Library/Frameworks
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    PIL 1.1.6 BUILD SUMMARY
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    version 1.1.6
    platform darwin 2.5.1 (r251:54863, Jan 17 2008, 19:35:17)
    [GCC 4.0.1 (Apple Inc. build 5465)]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    --- TKINTER support ok
    *** JPEG support not available
    --- ZLIB (PNG/ZIP) support ok
    --- FREETYPE2 support ok
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    To add a missing option, make sure you have the required
    library, and set the corresponding ROOT variable in the
    setup.py script.

    So I look in setup.py and I find this:

    # Library pointers.
    #
    # Use None to look for the libraries in well-known library locations.
    # Use a string to specify a single directory, for both the library and
    # the include files. Use a tuple to specify separate directories:
    # (libpath, includepath). Examples:
    #
    # JPEG_ROOT = "/home/libraries/jpeg-6b"
    # TIFF_ROOT = "/opt/tiff/lib", "/opt/tiff/include"
    #
    # If you have "lib" and "include" directories under a common parent,
    # you can use the "libinclude" helper:
    #
    # TIFF_ROOT = libinclude("/opt/tiff")

    FREETYPE_ROOT = None
    JPEG_ROOT = None
    #JPEG_ROOT = "/usr/local/bin"
    How about "/usr/local/lib" ? It's looking for a dylib (library file),
    not an executable (bin).
    Thanks. I'd already tried that (a much longer post detaining
    everything I'd tried got lost - you saw the abbreviated
    version, sorry).

    I noticed there are no new files in /usr/local/lib.
    So I looked at the libjpeg install.doc and saw this:


    * If you want to build libjpeg as a shared library, say
    ./configure --enable-shared
    To get both shared and static libraries, say
    ./configure --enable-shared --enable-static
    Note that these switches invoke GNU libtool to take care of
    system-dependent
    shared library building methods. If things don't work this way, please
    try
    running configure without either switch; that should build a static
    library
    without using libtool.

    (What I want here is a static library?) When I add either or
    both of those switches it says

    0-1d-4f-fc-28-d:jpeg-6b dullric$ make
    ./libtool --mode=compile gcc -O2 -I. -c ./jcapimin.c
    make: ./libtool: Command not found
    make: *** [jcapimin.lo] Error 127

    --
    David C. Ullrich
  • Irmen de Jong at Aug 4, 2008 at 11:59 pm

    David C. Ullrich wrote:
    Just as well that the message sent earlier today
    seems to have been lost...

    Ok. Read your instructions on libjpeg. Read some
    of the install.doc. ./configure, fine. make, fine.
    "make test", fine. So I said "sudo make install"
    and this happened:

    0-1d-4f-fc-28-d:jpeg-6b dullric$ sudo make install
    Password:
    [...]

    I had to do the following to build and install it in a way such that PIL would recognise
    it. But it does now, without changing anything in PIL's setup files.

    $ cd jpeg-6b/
    $ ln -s `which glibtool` libtool
    $ export MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET.4
    $ ./configure --enable-shared --enable-static --host=powerpc
    $ make
    $ sudo make install


    (note that I have a PPC mac so the host parameter may not be correct for your system)
    --irmen
  • David C. Ullrich at Aug 5, 2008 at 3:47 pm
    In article <489797fc$0$49816$e4fe514c at news.xs4all.nl>,
    Irmen de Jong wrote:
    David C. Ullrich wrote:
    Just as well that the message sent earlier today
    seems to have been lost...

    Ok. Read your instructions on libjpeg. Read some
    of the install.doc. ./configure, fine. make, fine.
    "make test", fine. So I said "sudo make install"
    and this happened:

    0-1d-4f-fc-28-d:jpeg-6b dullric$ sudo make install
    Password:
    [...]

    I had to do the following to build and install it in a way such that PIL
    would recognise
    it. But it does now, without changing anything in PIL's setup files.

    $ cd jpeg-6b/
    $ ln -s `which glibtool` libtool
    $ export MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET.4
    $ ./configure --enable-shared --enable-static --host=powerpc
    $ make
    $ sudo make install
    Thanks - that gets me closer:

    I'd already found out about the --enable-* switches, but
    when I tried them it complained it couldn't find ./libtool.
    I _guessed_ host should be intel
    I changed the 10.4 to 10.5 and did this:

    $ ln -s `which glibtool` libtool
    $ export MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET.4
    $ ./configure --enable-shared --enable-static --host=intel
    $ make
    $ sudo make install

    That fixed the complaints about no ./libtool, great.

    Then I went back to PIL. The setup.py reported that everything
    was great, including JPEG.

    And then selftest.py said it couldn't find a jpeg decoder...

    0-1d-4f-fc-28-d:Imaging-1.1.6 dullric$ python selftest.py
    *****************************************************************
    Failure in example: _info(Image.open("Images/lena.jpg"))
    from line #24 of selftest.testimage
    Exception raised:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "./doctest.py", line 499, in _run_examples_inner
    exec compile(source, "<string>", "single") in globs
    File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
    File "./selftest.py", line 22, in _info
    im.load()
    File "PIL/ImageFile.py", line 180, in load
    d = Image._getdecoder(self.mode, d, a, self.decoderconfig)
    File "PIL/Image.py", line 375, in _getdecoder
    raise IOError("decoder %s not available" % decoder_name)
    IOError: decoder jpeg not available
    1 items had failures:
    1 of 57 in selftest.testimage
    ***Test Failed*** 1 failures.
    *** 1 tests of 57 failed.

    (note that I have a PPC mac so the host parameter may not be correct for your
    system)
    --irmen
    --
    David C. Ullrich
  • Fredrik Lundh at Aug 13, 2008 at 8:27 am

    David C. Ullrich wrote:

    Thanks. Sorry to be so dumb - yes, it's perfectly reasonable
    for eff to assume that people using PIL are programmers.
    well, my only assumption is that people building PIL from basic building
    blocks must have some understanding of how that's done on their
    specific platform (and I don't have that knowledge myself for all
    platforms). And OS X can be something of a mess; search for "OS X" in
    the image-sig archives for a lot more on this.

    </F>
  • Irmen de Jong at Aug 1, 2008 at 10:05 pm

    David C. Ullrich wrote:
    Decided to try to install PIL on my Mac (OS X.5).

    I know nothing about installing programs on Linux,
    nothing about building C programs, nothing about
    installing libraries, nothing about "fink", nothing
    about anything. Please insert question marks after
    every sentence:
    Not needed.
    Just download a precompiled installation package from http://pythonmac.org/packages/

    I just installed PIL 1.1.6 two days ago, using the Python 2.5 package from this site :)
    (OS X 10.4.11 on a PPC mac mini)

    --irmen
  • David C. Ullrich at Aug 2, 2008 at 4:03 pm
    In article <489388af$0$49880$e4fe514c at news.xs4all.nl>,
    Irmen de Jong wrote:
    David C. Ullrich wrote:
    Decided to try to install PIL on my Mac (OS X.5).

    I know nothing about installing programs on Linux,
    nothing about building C programs, nothing about
    installing libraries, nothing about "fink", nothing
    about anything. Please insert question marks after
    every sentence:
    Not needed.
    Just download a precompiled installation package from
    http://pythonmac.org/packages/
    Lovely - thanks.
    I just installed PIL 1.1.6 two days ago, using the Python 2.5 package from
    this site :)
    (OS X 10.4.11 on a PPC mac mini)

    --irmen
    --
    David C. Ullrich
  • David C. Ullrich at Aug 5, 2008 at 3:49 pm
    In article <dullrich-BD9EEE.11035302082008 at text.giganews.com>,
    "David C. Ullrich" wrote:
    In article <489388af$0$49880$e4fe514c at news.xs4all.nl>,
    Irmen de Jong wrote:
    David C. Ullrich wrote:
    Decided to try to install PIL on my Mac (OS X.5).

    I know nothing about installing programs on Linux,
    nothing about building C programs, nothing about
    installing libraries, nothing about "fink", nothing
    about anything. Please insert question marks after
    every sentence:
    Not needed.
    Just download a precompiled installation package from
    http://pythonmac.org/packages/
    Lovely - thanks.
    When I try this it says "Need System Python 2.5".
    Even though I'm running 2.5.1.

    I'm running the python that came with OSX. This stuff
    isn't going to work with that, it needs the Python
    from that site as well?
    I just installed PIL 1.1.6 two days ago, using the Python 2.5 package from
    this site :)
    (OS X 10.4.11 on a PPC mac mini)

    --irmen
    --
    David C. Ullrich

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
grouppython-list @
categoriespython
postedAug 1, '08 at 6:46p
activeAug 13, '08 at 8:27a
posts14
users4
websitepython.org

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2022 Grokbase