Hi All,

Apologies in advance for a potentially redundant posting -- I sent a
similar question to the help box yesterday.

I have a Geographic Info System (GIS) user that is having problems
editing with Python IDLE on a WindowsXP machine unless she has admin
rights. I had initially thought there might be a place where you can
change the 'user rights' settings in Python, but wasn't able to find it.
So, I did a fresh install of Python 2.5.1 and told it to be available to
all users during the install process. The problem is that IDLE still
seems to be available only to the person who has admin rights on a given
machine. Can anybody make sense of this and help me fix it?

Thanks in advance!

Mark

Mark S. Murphy
GIS/Remote Sensing Analyst
Computer Sciences Corporation
ITS-EPA Contract
79 T.W. Alexander Drive
Bldg. 4201Rm 3259
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709
Work 919-767-7088
FAX 919-767-7082
Cell 951-252-4325
Murphy.Marks at epa.gov

Search Discussions

  • Terry Reedy at Jul 22, 2008 at 5:58 pm

    Murphy.MarkS at epamail.epa.gov wrote:
    Hi All,

    Apologies in advance for a potentially redundant posting -- I sent a
    similar question to the help box yesterday.

    I have a Geographic Info System (GIS) user that is having problems
    editing with Python IDLE on a WindowsXP machine unless she has admin
    rights. I had initially thought there might be a place where you can
    change the 'user rights' settings in Python, but wasn't able to find it.
    So, I did a fresh install of Python 2.5.1 and told it to be available to
    all users during the install process. The problem is that IDLE still
    seems to be available only to the person who has admin rights on a given
    machine. Can anybody make sense of this and help me fix it?
    I have both 2.5.2 and 3.0b2 loaded for all users on stock xp with all
    upgrades. I put /Python25 and /Python30 under Program Files instead of
    C:. As normal non-admin user, I can edit files in ./misc (added by me)
    under either, or in ./Lib/site-packages/my_package or, of course, under
    My Documents.

    You did not specify the 'problems'. If it is saving (which is required
    to run a file), then perhaps your user is trying to save in an
    admin-only directory. If IDLE is not running at all, perhaps you have
    some special government security mods. Perhaps changing install
    location would help. Also, does 'fresh install' mean uninstall first?
    This is not normally required, but you are not in a normal situation ;-).

    Or perhaps you are running into somthing connected with this warning:
    Personal firewall software may warn about the connection IDLE
    makes to its subprocess using this computer's internal loopback
    interface. This connection is not visible on any external
    interface and no data is sent to or received from the Internet.
    Perhaps you are getting silent blockage. Related to the above, there
    can only be one IDLE process running on the machine at one time. If
    somehow one were being started on the admin account, for instance .... .

    Terry Jan Reedy

    PS. Unless you have good reason not too, consider installing 2.5.2
    instead with its many bug fixes.

grouppython-list @
categoriespython
postedJul 22, '08 at 2:23p
activeJul 22, '08 at 5:58p
websitepython.org

2 users in discussion

Terry Reedy: 1 post Murphy MarkS: 1 post