I am a complete newbie at building Python. I am trying to build it
under MS Windows Vista (64-bit AMD) with MS VS2005. I'm doing that
because I need debug libraries, which I did not see in the standard
distribution.

I downloaded the source and found the MSVS8 solution/project files.
However, when I tried to build it I got the following error:

...\python-2.5.2\modules\_sqlite\connection.h(33) : fatal error C1083:
Cannot open include file: 'sqlite3.h': No such file or directory

I searched on the web, and at one place it said I would just need to
download sqlite3.h from sqlite.org. I looked around there, but I
could not find the source for sqlite 3.3.4. I went back and reread
the PCbuild8\readme.txt file, and it mentions using the following
command to download the sqlite:

svn export http://svn.python.org/projects/external/sqlite-source-3.3.4

Do I really need to get the whole thing, or will just sqlite3.h
resolve the build problem. As far as I know, I don't really need
sqlite. If I do need to execute that svn command, how do I execute
that under MS Windows?

Or is there some other way in which to circumvent this error?

Thanks,
Bev in TX

Search Discussions

  • Tim Golden at Jul 20, 2008 at 3:36 pm

    Bev in TX wrote:
    I am a complete newbie at building Python. I am trying to build it
    under MS Windows Vista (64-bit AMD) with MS VS2005. I'm doing that
    because I need debug libraries, which I did not see in the standard
    distribution.
    I'll leave others to comment on whether or not
    it's expected to build with VS2005, but the easiest
    way to get a debug build is to pretend to be a buildbot.

    1) Check out the python source into, say, c:\dev\python

    svn co http://svn.python.org/projects/python/trunk c:\dev\python

    2) Switch to that directory

    cd \dev\python

    3) Pretend to be a buildbot

    tools\buildbot\build

    This will checkout all the necessary sources into, in my
    example, c:\dev. It will then run all the build steps
    necessary to get a debug build which will then be in

    c:\dev\python\pcbuild\python_d.exe

    TJG
  • Bev in TX at Jul 21, 2008 at 8:34 pm
    Thanks for letting me know about this. I installed Subversion and
    tried to make the build work like that, but it fails.

    1) I am building 64-bit on Vista, so I used build-amd64.bat instead of
    build.bat.

    2) build-amd64.bat was setup to use MSVS 9.0, while I am using MSVS
    8.0. Also, some of the BATCH programs incorrectly added a backslash
    after the %VS90COMNTOOLS% environment variable. I corrected those to
    use %VS80COMNTOOLS%, without the backslash.

    3) It then complained about incompatible solution/project files, so I
    modified build-amd64.bat to use the solution/project files in pc\vs8.0
    instead of pcbuild.

    4) It now has errors/warnings like:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\PlatformSDK\include
    \prsht.h(531) : error C2016: C requires that a struct or union has at
    least one member
    c1 : fatal error C1083: Cannot open source file: '..\..\..
    \db-4.4.20\common\zerofill.c': No such file or directory
    xa_map.c
    4>..\..\Python\getargs.c(319) : warning C4244: 'function' : conversion
    from 'Py_ssize_t' to 'int', possible loss of data

    So I don't see how the amd64-bit builds are working out of the box on
    MS Windows Vista, and I may have made some error when changing the
    build files.

    I'd appreciate any other thoughts ...

    Bev in TX
    I'll leave others to comment on whether or not
    it's expected to build with VS2005, but the easiest
    way to get a debug build is to pretend to be a buildbot.

    1) Check out the python source into, say, c:\dev\python

    svn cohttp://svn.python.org/projects/python/trunkc:\dev\python

    2) Switch to that directory

    cd \dev\python

    3) Pretend to be a buildbot

    tools\buildbot\build

    This will checkout all the necessary sources into, in my
    example, c:\dev. It will then run all the build steps
    necessary to get a debug build which will then be in

    c:\dev\python\pcbuild\python_d.exe

    TJG
  • Tim Golden at Jul 22, 2008 at 8:09 am

    Bev in TX wrote:
    Thanks for letting me know about this. I installed Subversion and
    tried to make the build work like that, but it fails.
    [... snip problems ...]

    I'm afraid I'm not using VS 2005, nor Vista, nor 64-bit,
    so I hope someone else can help. If you don't get any take-up
    here try the python-win32 list; there may be people there who
    don't follow this (rather higher volume) list.

    TJG

grouppython-list @
categoriespython
postedJul 19, '08 at 12:19p