Hi guys,

My group and I will be working on our final year project, the scope to
do a program/web-based application similar areas of functionalities
like the PyLint and PyChecker; a Python syntax checker. We have no
Python background, equipped only with some knowledge of Java and Dot
net.

We did some research on PyLint and found out that there are 2 common
modules that PyLint & PyChecker are using, namely logilab-astng and
logilab-common. I'm not really sure what these 2 modules are for.

Quoted from the offical site,

The aim of this module (logilab-astng) is to provide a common base
representation of python source code

We're not really sure what they meant by common base representation of
source codes. Does that mean logilab-astng is somewhat like a
repository/library of Python syntax API so that we can easily 'call'
these module to aid in syntax checking? My group and I were
considering of using Java as a basis for this project, but if these 2
modules were really the repositories for Python syntax codes then we
are restricted to using Python to make full use of the above mentioned
dependencies.

Our current stand was to use Jython as it is able to support Java as
well as the .PY files inside logilab-astng and logilab-common, but
having no knowledge in Python, we're unable to make out whatever was
in the 2 above modules, was was unable to find user support forums/
communities for Logilab related stuff.

You insights are greatly appreciated.

Windows platform (XP & vista)
Python (If need be, we will install the latest official version of it)
Jython 2.2.1 (Latest version)
Server: Apache Tomcat 2.2 (Should we require one for the project)

Search Discussions

  • Kay Schluehr at Jul 14, 2008 at 10:48 am

    My group and I will be working on our final year project, the scope to
    do a program/web-based application similar areas of functionalities
    like the PyLint and PyChecker; a Python syntax checker. We have no
    Python background, equipped only with some knowledge of Java and Dot
    net.
    Python doesn't need a syntax checker. Syntax is checked by the parser
    and the parser is exposed to the user by means of the parser module.
    What you probably mean are *semantical* checks which are typical for
    compilers: e.g. whether names are used with prior assignments of
    values that cause runtime exceptions. These issues are in fact covered
    by PyLint and PyChecker.
    We did some research on PyLint and found out that there are 2 common
    modules that PyLint & PyChecker are using, namely logilab-astng and
    logilab-common. I'm not really sure what these 2 modules are for.

    Quoted from the offical site,

    The aim of this module (logilab-astng) is to provide a common base
    representation of python source code

    We're not really sure what they meant by common base representation of
    source codes.
    Just switch to <MyPythonPath>\Scripts\ in your Vista installation

    and type `easy_install pylint`. This shall install PyLint in the
    directory

    <MyPythonPath>\lib\site-packages

    Additionally a pylint.bat file is placed in the <MyPythonPath>\Scripts
    \ directory.

    Type `pylint --help` and you get more information about the
    functionality of PyLint.
  • Kinokunya at Jul 15, 2008 at 2:17 am

[...]

    Thanks for replying Kay Schluehr,

    The topic of our project was to do a program/software similar to
    PyLint and PyChecker, and the project scope does not require us to
    compile the codes. I guess by that it means 'semantic' checks in this
    case. Does that means we can make use of the parser module as
    mentioned above for semantic syntax checking?

    Our situation now is that we are torn between the programming
    languages to go, Java, Jython or Python, with no definite direction to
    start off our development. Any pointers would be appreciated.

    Thank you.
  • Alexandre Fayolle at Jul 31, 2008 at 2:29 pm

    My group and I will be working on our final year project, the scope to
    do a program/web-based application similar areas of functionalities
    like thePyLintand PyChecker; a Python syntax checker. We have no
    Python background, equipped only with some knowledge of Java and Dot
    net.
    Great, this means you'll get a change to learn a new great language.
    We did some research on PyLint and found out that there are 2 common
    modules thatPyLint & PyChecker are using, namely logilab-astng and
    logilab-common. I'm not really sure what these 2 modules are for.
    To my best knowledge, pychecker does not use logilab-common or logilab-
    astng.
    Quoted from the offical site,

    ? ? The aim of this module (logilab-astng) is to provide a common base
    representation of python source code

    We're not really sure what they meant by common base representation of
    source codes. Does that mean logilab-astng is somewhat like a
    repository/library of Python syntax API so that we can easily 'call'
    these module to aid in syntax checking?
    logilab-astng is a python library which gives access to the Abstract
    Syntax
    Tree (AST) of some Python code. This representation is used by pylint
    perform checks on the code without manipulating the source code
    directly.
    Our current stand was to use Jython as it is able to support Java as
    well as the .PY files inside logilab-astng and logilab-common, but
    having no knowledge in Python, we're unable to make out whatever was
    in the 2 above modules, was was unable to find user support forums/
    communities for Logilab related stuff.
    Subscribe to the python-projects mailing list
    (http://lists.logilab.org/mailman/listinfo/python-projects)

    --
    Alexandre Fayolle
    Logilab