Hello everyone,

I'm a beginning self-taught python student. Currently, I work out my
code within IDLE then when I have a version that I like, or that's
working, I move it over to a new window and save it.

I've been playing w/ Komodo IDE lately, and while it's nice, what I
don't like is the "one line at a time" (produced by hitting up-arrow)
in the shell. In IDLE, ctrl-p can reproduce a whole function or class
- opposed to only the last line in Komodo.

Is my IDLE method common? Or am I simply creating more of a headache
for myself? What do you recommend? I'm not that advanced and don't
need anything fancy. I'm on OS X.

Thanks!

Dave

Search Discussions

  • Ken Starks at Jun 8, 2008 at 1:50 pm

    dave wrote:
    Hello everyone,

    I'm a beginning self-taught python student. Currently, I work out my
    code within IDLE then when I have a version that I like, or that's
    working, I move it over to a new window and save it.

    I've been playing w/ Komodo IDE lately, and while it's nice, what I
    don't like is the "one line at a time" (produced by hitting up-arrow) in
    the shell. In IDLE, ctrl-p can reproduce a whole function or class -
    opposed to only the last line in Komodo.

    Is my IDLE method common? Or am I simply creating more of a headache
    for myself? What do you recommend? I'm not that advanced and don't
    need anything fancy. I'm on OS X.

    Thanks!

    Dave
    For th simplest work, you could try skite as an editor; it
    takes you code in on window, and sends the output to another
    when you press F5.

    But--'not advanced' or not--I would suggest you look forward to
    the time when you will need version control, unit tests, and other
    utilities of a more comprehensive environment. Take a look at
    Eclipse, for example.

    For several sceencasts, python and eclipse included:

    http://showmedo.com/videos/programming_tools

grouppython-list @
categoriespython
postedJun 8, '08 at 1:07a