Is there an easy scientific graphics (plotting) package for Python
2.5.1 running on Ubuntu Linux 7.1 ("Gutsy Gibbon")?

A few years ago I used PyLab (a MatLab-like plotting module for
Python) on a Windows machine, but I don't know if there is a similar
easy-to-install-and-use Python 2.5.1-compatible graphics package for
Ubuntu Linux 7.1?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Search Discussions

  • Robert Kern at Apr 3, 2008 at 11:17 pm

    Dr. Colombes wrote:
    Is there an easy scientific graphics (plotting) package for Python
    2.5.1 running on Ubuntu Linux 7.1 ("Gutsy Gibbon")?

    A few years ago I used PyLab (a MatLab-like plotting module for
    Python) on a Windows machine, but I don't know if there is a similar
    easy-to-install-and-use Python 2.5.1-compatible graphics package for
    Ubuntu Linux 7.1?
    matplotlib (which you misname PyLab) works with Python 2.5.1 on Ubuntu, too.

    $ sudo apt-get install python-matplotlib

    --
    Robert Kern

    an underlying truth."
    -- Umberto Eco
  • Joshua Kugler at Apr 4, 2008 at 9:19 pm

    Is there an easy scientific graphics (plotting) package for Python
    2.5.1 running on Ubuntu Linux 7.1 ("Gutsy Gibbon")?

    A few years ago I used PyLab (a MatLab-like plotting module for
    Python) on a Windows machine, but I don't know if there is a similar
    easy-to-install-and-use Python 2.5.1-compatible graphics package for
    Ubuntu Linux 7.1?
    We've been using Matplotlib for a while, but are looking for alternatives.
    I recently came across Chaco (http://code.enthought.com/chaco/) and am
    quite impressed with what I see so far.

    It's API is very clean, not requiring the "magic functions" (can we say
    setp()?) that is required by matplotlib. Very OO, and from what I see of
    example code, the API complies with PEP 8 conventions.

    Installation was easy (easy_install), but for a couple packages, you will
    need GCC, python-dev, and swig.

    I haven't dug into it much, but it looks really, really promising.

grouppython-list @
categoriespython
postedApr 3, '08 at 10:40p
activeApr 4, '08 at 9:19p