Hey, I've run into another problem. I am trying to install the Mutagen
package to use as my first useful program, but can't figure out how to
install it on windows. The README says it is a simple application of--

Installing
----------
$ ./setup.py build
$ su -c "./setup.py install"

--but I ran c:\>python c:\python25\tools\scripts\setup.py build and did
similarly for setup.py. I also added c:\python25 and
c:\python25\tools\scripts to my path, but this hasn't worked. I have
heard of 'easy_install' but don't know how to run easy_install. So, I
ask for a reference because Google did not give me a quick answer and
the python.org explanation at PEP 250 doesn't really explain what I
should do.

Search Discussions

  • Diez B. Roggisch at Mar 24, 2008 at 1:10 pm

    Benjamin Serrato schrieb:
    Hey, I've run into another problem. I am trying to install the Mutagen
    package to use as my first useful program, but can't figure out how to
    install it on windows. The README says it is a simple application of--

    Installing
    ----------
    $ ./setup.py build
    $ su -c "./setup.py install"

    --but I ran c:\>python c:\python25\tools\scripts\setup.py build and did
    similarly for setup.py. I also added c:\python25 and
    c:\python25\tools\scripts to my path, but this hasn't worked. I have
    heard of 'easy_install' but don't know how to run easy_install. So, I
    ask for a reference because Google did not give me a quick answer and
    the python.org explanation at PEP 250 doesn't really explain what I
    should do.
    You need to call

    python2.5 setup.py install

    and google for setuptools, python, easy_install to find out all about it
    you need.

    Diez
  • Gabriel Genellina at Mar 24, 2008 at 5:45 pm
    En Mon, 24 Mar 2008 03:25:02 -0300, Benjamin Serrato
    [^_^]mail.com> escribi?:
    Hey, I've run into another problem. I am trying to install the Mutagen
    package to use as my first useful program, but can't figure out how to
    install it on windows. The README says it is a simple application of--

    Installing
    ----------
    $ ./setup.py build
    $ su -c "./setup.py install"

    --but I ran c:\>python c:\python25\tools\scripts\setup.py build and did
    similarly for setup.py. I also added c:\python25 and
    c:\python25\tools\scripts to my path, but this hasn't worked. I have
    The setup.by you have to run is the one included in the Mutagen package,
    not that one.
    Unless the author provides more specific instructions, the usual way is:

    - Unpack the archive into any temporary directory
    - Open a console (cmd) and change to that temporary directory (cd
    c:\some\temp\dir)
    - Execute this command:
    python setup.py install
    - That's all

    If you get any error, post the whole error message here, but for specific
    help on the package it would be better to contact the author directly.

    --
    Gabriel Genellina

grouppython-list @
categoriespython