After simply trying to write a program with help(MakeQTE), a module, and
having it fail with socket errors, I decided to restart IDLE, thinking I
knew the cause. I'm now getting msgs like: "IDLE's subprocess didn't make
connection. ... firewall may be blocking the connection." I doubt the FW
connection. There's a small X warning dialog that says "Socket Error:
Connection refused." Is there a way to reset IDLE?
--
Wayne Watson (Nevada City, CA)

Web Page: <speckledwithStars.net>

Search Discussions

  • Mike Driscoll at Feb 12, 2008 at 8:28 pm

    After simply trying to write a program with help(MakeQTE), a module, and
    having it fail with socket errors, I decided to restart IDLE, thinking I
    knew the cause. I'm now getting msgs like: "IDLE's subprocess didn't make
    connection. ... firewall may be blocking the connection." I doubt the FW
    connection. There's a small X warning dialog that says "Socket Error:
    Connection refused." Is there a way to reset IDLE?
    --
    Wayne Watson (Nevada City, CA)

    Web Page: <speckledwithStars.net>
    I sometimes get this message when one of my programs fails to shutdown
    properly. I program almost exclusively in Windows, so I open Task
    Manager and kill all instance of Python.exe to fix this problem. I
    have seen ZoneAlarm flag IDLE when I first installed Python, so if you
    upgraded it recently, the firewall may be an issue.

    Mike
  • W. Watson at Feb 12, 2008 at 9:55 pm
    Thanks. That did the trick.

    Mike Driscoll wrote:
    After simply trying to write a program with help(MakeQTE), a module, and
    having it fail with socket errors, I decided to restart IDLE, thinking I
    I sometimes get this message when one of my programs fails to shutdown
    properly. I program almost exclusively in Windows, so I open Task
    Manager and kill all instance of Python.exe to fix this problem. I
    have seen ZoneAlarm flag IDLE when I first installed Python, so if you
    upgraded it recently, the firewall may be an issue.

    Mike
    --
    Wayne Watson (Nevada City, CA)

    Web Page: <speckledwithStars.net>
  • Gabriel Genellina at Feb 12, 2008 at 9:12 pm
    En Tue, 12 Feb 2008 18:18:20 -0200, W. Watson <wolf_tracks at invalid.com>
    escribi?:
    After simply trying to write a program with help(MakeQTE), a module, and
    having it fail with socket errors, I decided to restart IDLE, thinking I
    knew the cause. I'm now getting msgs like: "IDLE's subprocess didn't make
    connection. ... firewall may be blocking the connection." I doubt the FW
    connection. There's a small X warning dialog that says "Socket Error:
    Connection refused." Is there a way to reset IDLE?
    From the IDLE About box:

    IDLE executes Python code in a separate process, which is restarted for
    each
    Run (F5) initiated from an editor window. The environment can also be
    restarted from the Shell window without restarting IDLE.

    (Personal firewall software may warn about the connection IDLE makes to its
    subprocess using this computer's internal loopback interface. This
    connection
    is not visible on any external interface and no data is sent to or received
    from the Internet.)

    From the help:

    Running without a subprocess:

    If IDLE is started with the -n command line switch it will run in a
    single process and will not create the subprocess which runs the RPC
    Python execution server. This can be useful if Python cannot create
    the subprocess or the RPC socket interface on your platform. However,
    in this mode user code is not isolated from IDLE itself. Also, the
    environment is not restarted when Run/Run Module (F5) is selected. If
    your code has been modified, you must reload() the affected modules and
    re-import any specific items (e.g. from foo import baz) if the changes
    are to take effect. For these reasons, it is preferable to run IDLE
    with the default subprocess if at all possible.

    --
    Gabriel Genellina

grouppython-list @
categoriespython